ADVERTISEMENT

NCC

215#

Freshman
Jan 26, 2005
Anyone have a feel for how the NCC will stack up this year? Did Ealge Grove decide to stay in the conference or not?

This is EG's last year in NCC and one of their assistants is now the head coach. Clear Lake will have murderer's row for the first 4 weight classes. Webster should be good. Clarion is always in the mix. Algona and SE will have a few quality kids. Should be a fun year.

Algona will have a few quality wrestlers???? Four returning placers at 3A from last year ... Kuecker, Shaw, Frideras and Teague to start with. Long was second in the 3A Dist and went to the state Tournament. Strohman (3rd Dist 3A) and Buchanan (injured late in the season) will also do well on the mat this season. Clear Lake may have murderers row in lower weights, but Algona will display the same from 132 up. Go Hawks!!!

I would say Algona will be tough especially in the mid-to-upper weights. The Lions will have A LOT of experience down low but will be pretty suspect from the middle on up. The CL/Algona dual might be a fun one to watch but it takes place at the end of the dual season. However, the Bulldogs and Lions cross paths a couple of other times too. Webster City will be decent as will Humboldt. Clarion-Goldfield and Hampton-Dumont have a few kids that will make some noise as does St. Edmond. Maybe St. Edmond's football success will rub off on the wrestling team. Harvey will be a force for the Gaels. Iowa Fall-Alden was young the last couple years so should be somewhat improved. Eagle Grove will struggle again I'm afraid. The move to the NIC may or may not change things. The NIC is usually pretty salty in the wrestling world too. If I had to place a bet I'd put some money on Algona this year to win either the dual championship or the tournament and if all goes well both. The Lions will make it interesting but may lack the overall firepower.
This post was edited on 11/21 7:21 PM by NCC Wrestling

Mike@TetonValley,
I meant no disrespect to Algona, yes they will be solid with the men you mentioned. I was told today that Shaw is playing basketball. Any truth to that?

I didn't see Shaws name on their roster the other day. That would be a shock ... Shaw who placed 8th at 3A last year, playing basketball. Wonder if there is any truth to that rumor. As to other post:

NCC Placers returning (last years weights)

106 Schmalen, Clear Lake (4th 2A 2013)
Barkema, Hampton (8th 2A 2013)
Szalet, Ft Dodge St Edmonds (7th 1A 2013)
113 McClintock, St Edmonds (6th 1A 2013)
126 Haberman, Clarion (2nd Dist 1A 2013)
132 Lehmann, Clarion (5th 1A 2013)
Strohman, Algona (3rd Dist 3A 2013)
138 Kuecker, Algona (8th 3A 2013)
Bowman, Humboldt (2nd Dist 2A 2013)
145 Powers, Webster City (1st Dist 3A 2013)
Long, Algona (2nd Dist 3A 2013)
152 Shaw, Algona (8th 3A 2013)
160 Larson, Webster City (1st Dist 3A 2013)
Lehmann, Hampton (2nd Dist 2013)
170 Teague, Algona (7th 3A 2013)
182 Fielder, Webster City (6th 3A 2013, 6th 2A 2012)
Wheeler, Humboldt (6th 2A 2013)
Frideras, Algona (7th 3A 2013)
Nobish, Clear Lake (2nd Dist 2A 2013)
195 Dryer, Humboldt (6th 2A 2013)
220 Harvey, St Edmonds (4th 1A 2013)
Suntken, Hampton (1st Dist 2A 2013)
285 Pena, Hampton (7th 2A 2013)
Hendrick, Humboldt (8th 2A 2013)
Gambrill, Clarion (5th 1A 2013)

Buchanan, Algona will be a player at 220 (injured late last season). Looks like a tournament this year.

Shaw is listed on the Algona basketball roster for this year. I cannot figure that move out at all. That will hurt the Bulldogs chances big time. Go Hawks!!!

webster city is gonna be tuff! clear lake tuff humbolt,clarion,algona salty as hell!!! overall the best i have seen the NCC look in years... its gonna be a fun year ta watch!

Leisure is from Clear Lake. He's part of a good group of young kids that have been wrestling for quite awhile in the youth program. I believe he has won 4 AAU tournaments. Obviously early to declare him the next big thing but a lot of potential there.

Schmalen out of the CL line-up will hurt the Lion's ability to shuffle people around when they need to. He is expected back late in the season but until then the Lions will have to figure out another way to score some team points. The NCC is better than in the past. There are many teams that look to be decent. It might be one of the best NCC tournaments in a long time.

I'll bite, "another MC recruit"? guessing you are talking about Gonzalez who I believe is actually from Fertile, which is closer to Clear Lake than Mason City but I think technically in the Forest City school district. And who are the others, the Colon boys that moved to town when Joe (the best wrestler of the bunch and 2nd oldest) was in elementary and whose little brother now goes to MC Newman? Looks like CL needs a better recruiter if that's all they got over the last number of years.

results 12-12-13
humbolt 63 algona 15
humbolt 44 clarion 27
clarion also beat algona but not by much unsure of final score... humbolt has a fine lookin team!

12-12-13
clear lake 55 hampton 15
webster city 69 iowa falls 12
webster city 45 f-d st eds 33
st eds 42 iowa falls 39

I see CL beat Webster over the weekend. Looks like WC was deducted 3 team points. Anyone there? What happened?

i look for clarion to contend for conference and state duals with the new 106 113 lbs that just became part of the team!!! studs!

Saw that the latest Colon is doing pretty well at MCN. Is that a testament to the competition or does this kid have some potential?

Given that he's now rated, anyone want to make a side bet that he's wrestling in CL before his high school career ends??

Let's see here. Oldest Colon wrestles at Mason City public, Joe and Jacob wrestle for CL. Now the next one wrestling at MCN. Does the family live in a motor home and move to the school that gives them the best chance to wrestle? Tells me that the family values are absolutely warped.

I realize that this isn't the first time a kid's family has done something like this, but to me, it illustrates an instance where priorities are screwed up. I hope this family has kids that are successful in life once their competitive days are finished, and I hope academics are viewed as a top priority. But I have serious doubts regarding that.

Never miss an opportunity to get a dig in at Clear Lake & their wrestlers, do you Mitch? At least get some facts straight. Dusty was a three-year starter for Clear Lake when the family moved to town and he sat out the first half of his sophomore year. They have lived there ever since. Newman does run a bus to Clear Lake (rode it myself for four years). We can speculate on the reasons why Jeremiah is at Newman, but it could be the family wanted a more structured environment for him and Catholic school and wrestling under Mark Bertsch fit the bill.

I love rumor and conjecture. It always sounds better than true facts haha! No one wants the truth they just want gossip and half facts. Once they hear the truth then there is something behind that to make it more juicy.

Pax: Well, I guess if someone wants to give the details about the vagabonds, I'm ready to listen. And I'm not too sure that wrestling at MCN is going to help young Colon, either. Seems a few years ago that a 3x champ couldn't get the academics in line and was never heard from again post high school. It sounds like a whole lot of messed up priorities in Cerro Gordo County.

But hey... continue making excuses, if you want. Someone might but your garbage!

Nice to see things haven't changed on these boards. One of the biggest reasons people quit coming on them.

Why respond to them if they bother you so much? You and RRF are two of the biggest culprits when it comes to discussions on these boards. Parents and relatives of wrestlers just LOVE the attention and adulation. But when the slightest criticism arises, they get real defensive.

Just another reason why relatives should never READ or RESPOND to subjects here.

It's one thing to criticize, its another to down right attack kids, parents, coaches and/or organizations. This is something you have done for sometime. Discussion and I mean civil discussion is what these boards are made for. But people like you and many others that hide behind a screen name and take shots at others seem to think this is fun, funny or what ever you may feel it is. So according to your rational only the ignorant people that start crap should be on here reading and commenting. These boards were put on here for civil discussion about sports and their content.

Finally, a wise person once told me that when you argue with an idiot, they will only drag you to their level and beat you up at it. I am not gonna let you do that.
3dgrin.r191677.gif

You keep spewing your negative crap and I will continue to preach on a much better level. Either way I guess we both will continue on these boards. Best wishes, karma always catches all of us!

oldMC: Oh gosh, look who's talking about having a CIVIL discussion. I can go back thru the archives and find it if I look hard enough, but you were the one that implied a physical threat to me last year when we were discussing DT. Do you remember that, or do you still have selective memory issues? You and the "boyz" wanted to meet me after a wrestling event.

Save the sermon and the attempts at sympathy.

I admit I have been very critical of certain "traits" regarding some people, but in regards to the CL head coach, I will bet a large sum of money that there are a lot of people outside of the CL school district that despise him, personally. People in Mason City, Forest City, and Osage that I know very well. And it has absolutely nothing to do with his success, or lack thereof, in regards to the CL wrestling program.

Sermon ended!

MitchL I don't ever recall threatening you, I did ask you for a match however. I also asked to meet you in person over some coffee or a soda. Not sure where you are getting a physical threat. I will say however you have said some quite offensive things about kids, coaches and organizations, with out any fact nor inside information. When you do this it inflames MANY not just the people you speak about. I will admit some fans I talked to that read these boards wanted to do you some harm but they had no affiliation with me or the people you spoke of. They just have respect for the sport and the people in it.

Like I said best wishes. I'm just gonna read and try to inform.

oldmc:

It's been awhile. Good to see you back. By the way, had I been a Mason City resident, I would have voted for your dad in the city council elections. Your uncle did great work for everyone and should not have been disrespected like he was by the massive departmental funding cut.

This is going to be a rather long post, so I apologize in advance.

OldMC: I believe everyone who reads and responds on this forum respects your contributions and the time you have put into developing youth wrestling AND promoting the sport.

But in regards to high school wrestling and the discussions we have had about college wrestling, you are an absolute SUNSHINE PUMPER. By the time these kids reach their junior and senior seasons of high school, they had better be preparing for adulthood. And I realize many kids have had challenging childhoods where the parenting may not have been what it should have been.

This is where a coach needs to be a positive role model and mentor. No one obviously would know what goes on within all the programs we have discussed over time. But the one thing I have seen happen with high school wrestling, because it is such an individual sport, is that the really, really good athletes have sometimes gotten special treatment from coaches. It happened when I was in high school, and I believe it still happens.

Now a certain responsibility for academic success definitely is squarely on the student/athlete themself. But I find it a little odd, since we have referenced MCN and CL, that some recent high profile kids have come up short in this area. We all know who I am referring to. They lacked the academic credentials to enroll in a four year school. Why didn't the head coaches emphasize academics to a greater degree? Maybe you know the answer, because I don't know.

Unfortunately there isn't much of a wrestling related future for these kids once the competitive days are over. So they better damn well have a backup plan in life. Having a coach who doesn't stress the importance of academics is having a coach who is doing a disservice to these kids.

I look at things from a slightly more realistic slant. While some may view this as being negative or critical, it is really a more objective approach. Not always popular, but I've never been one to steer away from controversy.

So if you continue to support coaches who play favorites and may have their own selfish interest at heart, carry on.

Good day to all!

MitchL - Not really sure what a SUNSHINE PUMPER is so I can not comment on that sorry.

As I said in an earlier post, in this thread I believe, people love rumor and conjecture. You fall into this category. You speak of individuals as if you are best friends with them, and organizations like you are intertwined with them, yet you have little to no knowledge of what you are saying. When a person may read what you spew out they might think you have some insight to what you speak of, when in reality you have a small bit of fact and a ton of personal feeling in to your comments.

I agree it is the student/athletes responsibility to succeed academically. What that success is totally up to them, not you nor any other critic. I will defend MCN in saying our Coaches and Faculty stress the importance of academics to their highest. We pride ourselves on this. We also see that not all students are straight A kids and need extra assistance in achieving our high standards. By assistance I mean staying after classes and studying daily. Which is what the young man you reference in your post did for 4 years. Some students aren't stupid as you may imply but may just very well be academically lazy as I feel a better part of youth are these days. They would rather play on their technology than to study. That's for another rant.

Bottom line MitchL is get facts, talk to the people involved, get to know the people you are going to attack prior to spewing your hate and dislike for them and the organizations they come from. Doing this would give your arguments and statements more credibility. Until then you will continue to be that anonymous guy taking pot shots at kids and coaches. Best wishes and maybe someday you will take me up on the soda or coffee, preferably soda over coffee btw. You just might get a better perspective on my views, ethics, and the organization/people I support so faithfully.

Oldmc: Thank you for your response. I'll give you the definition of a "sunshine pumper". A sunshine pumper is someone who fails to objectively look at all aspects of life in regards to viewing the positives AND negatives of a situation. One who fails to realize that there are consequences to not taking academics seriously, in this case.

While you proclaim to have these high standards for book study, you seem to write off the shortcomings and call it mere "laziness", in your words. You don't simply change someones' bad habits in the second semester of their senior year of high school. And if you have addressed these issues before that time... you suspend the kid from athletic competition until he gets the academics in order. I don't ever recall these schools doing that, because that likely would have become public info.

You may be surprised to learn that info about the higher profile wrestling programs is rather easy to get. There aren't a whole lot of secrets when you're talking about elite level wrestlers. Perhaps the schools we've discussed have taken "token" actions from time to time.

Some stuff on these forums is indeed rumor and conjecture. But much of the info shared is very factual. Sorry to break that news to you. But guys like Moffitt and Kelly love the academic casualties. Iowa Central built a powerhouse thru these guys.

One last bit of news for you... The "better part of youth" are NOT academically lazy. Maybe the kids you mentor are, but most are not. So don't lump all these kids into your protective group.

You say I lack credibility. I think the real issue is that you can't accept reality. These kids ended up in a junior college because the four schools had high standards and weren't eligible. Is that a rumor too?

I'll bet KJ tried to jump thru hoops to get them to ISU. But that will be a discussion I'll have AFTER the UNI/ISU dual. That's starting to look like a potential bloodbath for ISU.

MItchL - I ask you this. Who says its a must to go on to college? Why is it a short coming if you don't? Why is it a bad thing to go to a Jr. College first? A great friend of mine went to NIACC then off to ISU and is now an engineer. So.... it was bad for him to go to NIACC first? Most educated people can see through your hidden bashing of these young men and institutions.

Your example doesn't hold water. You can not hold a young man or woman out of their sport while having passing grades. Only if they are failing. Please share this inside info you have of these high profile athletes. I as well as many others, would like to know this knowledge you so possess. Also explain the "token" actions that were take by the schools you are talking about. Please don't be vague, give us uncontested facts you possess. Ones no one can dispute. Please if you answer don't ramble on with your views, I am asking for cold hard facts. Thanks in advance.

Mitch:

How exactly would / do you know if these coaches do or don't push academics? I've been around sports my whole life (son of a lifetime coach), and have been coaching high school sports myself for the past 17 years. (Not wrestling, whether that matters or not).

This may come as a HUGE surprise to you and some others, but sometimes kids struggle in school, even when you do push academics. I know, I know, that's pretty hard to digest, but school is tough for some kids: Wrestlers, band members, track runners, bowlers, theater kids, etc....some from all groups struggle in school.
To belittle them on here is ridiculous.

Joe Cunningham (Thet's my real name...I don't want to be accused of hiding behind a screen name)

oldMC:

Happy to see you recruited a backup to try and strengthen your viewpoint. Kind of like last year when RRF recruited you to help defend his honor.

Now I learn that I'm the one trashing the kids... after oldMC says most high kids are academically lazy!

Good stuff there, ladies!

Edit: Your reference to your friend going to NIACC is not relevant to our discussion. 98% of kids that go to a junior college go there to save tuition expense or to be able to live at or near home to save money. Not anything to do with not having good enough grades to be admitted to a four year institution. But hey... nice attempt to change the subject or gain sympathy here.

BTW: I went to NIACC for the very reasons I mentioned. You really, really need to think before you approach a keyboard or smart phone and enter a post.
This post was edited on 1/24 8:13 PM by MitchL

Yes, I've coached track the past 18 years, the last 10 at Knoxville. Also a handful of years of cross country, as well as football.

MitchL- First question is why didn't you answer the direct questions I have presented. Like I said facts please.

Second, not quite sure where you are getting that I was recruited to defend RRF's honor. Simply silly comment.

Calling a kid or kids academically lazy isn't trashing them, it's a fact based observation. Attacking kids, coaches, and organizations with false innuendos and rumors is simply trashing them. Your post alone makes it relevant smh. No sympathy seeker here sorry.

Finally, you are simply making my point so therefore there is no need to continue on with this silliness.
3dgrin.r191677.gif
Best wishes I will now adhere to my earlier post haha. Best wishes MitchL.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT