ADVERTISEMENT

Mock Director's Cup Standings

DarkThunder#61

All State
Sep 28, 2005
I first posted this on the General Discussion board to save it while waiting for baseball to wrap up, and now that everything from the 2013-2014 school year is all finished, I can finally give you the complete standings......

Just for something fun to do during the slow summer hours, I decided to put together a mock "Director's Cup" standings to show the most successful schools at the State level in each class.

Some teams, and classes, will be a little more skewed than others due to certain schools not offering a sport (mainly at the smaller classes), but I included every sport in the main rankings with the exception of swimming, which is almost exclusively 4A. I will also have adjusted rankings for some of the things I left out of the initial list. (EDIT- baseball now included)

The way I scored it was pretty straight forward, with the exception of football and baseball. 10 pts for a State championship, 8 pts for a runner-up finish, 6 pts for 3rd place, 4 pts for 4th place, and 2 pts for 5th-8th (or the equivalent of a "state participant" in some sports).
For football, I decided to weigh them just a bit differently, because they're one of only two sports in the state that hosts a final four (.......though basketball could be on the way in the future). Still 10 and 8 pts for 1st and 2nd, but since there is only a semifinal contest and no 3rd place game, and since 4 teams get the honor of playing in the UNI-Dome, I gave the two semifinalists 6 pts, and all Quarterfinalists 4 pts.

EDIT- I also realized that baseball does not have a consolation game, so while the state participant is the same, I decided to split the difference and semifinalists get 5 pts.

Tennis is the other sport that holds a 4-team playoff to determine its champion, but there's only two classes in that sport and its quote-unquote Quarterfinal round is designated as a Substate final. 4 teams compete in a substate bracket (of which there are 4 in each class) to determine the final four at State. I have those teams that reached the substate final and will add them in to the adjusted list.

Also wrestling remains the only sport where you can win two team championships in one sport, and you'll see its effect below.

Lastly, every school is placed in their class based on their classification for basketball. I figured this was the best way to accurately reflect where they stand in terms of enrollment, considering just about every school in the state plays basketball and there's a set number for each class. The only discrepancy is several schools getting points/winning championships in different classes than what they're in for basketball. Take Regina for example. They won both of their championships at the 1A level, but they have a 2A enrollment for basketball.

It's also worth pointing out that in some sports there's only three classes and in others only two, so this is why I decided that basketball was the best way to determine where each team truly fits in terms of their classification/enrollment numbers.

So, hopefully, with all that cleared up, I give you the unofficial 2014 Mock Director's Cup Standings:

Class 1A- [/B]
1. West Lyon, Inwood....24 pts
2. Don Bosco, Gilbertville....23 pts
3. Bishop Garrigan, Algona....16 pts
4. Denver....12 pts
t5. Fairfield, Maharishi....10 pts
t5. Mount Ayr....10 pts
t5. Twin Cedars, Bussey....10 pts
t5. Newell-Fonda....10 pts
t5. BGM, Brooklyn....10 pts
t10. Dunkerton....8 pts
t10. Exira/Elk Horn-Kimbleton....8 pts
t10. Grundy Center....8 pts
t10. Madrid....8 pts
t10. Mason City Newman....8 pts
t10. Riverside, Oakland....8 pts
t10. Wapsie Valley, Fairbank....8 pts

Class 2A-[/B]
1. St. Edmond, Fort Dodge....24 pts
2. Iowa City Regina....22 pts
t3. Monticello....20 pts
t3. Mediapolis....20 pts
t5. Clarion-Goldfield....16 pts
t5. North Polk....16 pts
t5. West Fork, Sheffield....16 pts
t5. Albia....16 pts
t9. Eddyville-Blakesburg-Fremont....14 pts
t9. Alburnett....14 pts

Class 3A-[/B]
1. Waverly-Shell Rock....39 pts
2. Davenport Assumption....30 pts
3. Clear Lake....22 pts
4. Solon....18 pts
t5. Boone....16 pts
t5. Gilbert....16 pts
t5. Decorah....16 pts
8. Bishop Heelan, Sioux City....14 pts
t9. Dubuque, Wahlert....12 pts
t9. West Delaware, Manchester....12 pts
t9. Central Clinton, DeWitt....12 pts
t9. Cedar Rapids Xavier....12 pts
t9. Creston/Orient-Macksburg....12 pts

Class 4A-[/B]
1. Iowa City West....44 pts
2. Bettendorf....36 pts
3. West Des Moines, Valley....34 pts
4. Southeast Polk....32 pts
5. Linn-Mar, Marion....30 pts
6. Johnston....25 pts
7. West Des Moines, Dowling....24 pts
8. Cedar Rapids Kennedy....22 pts
9. Waukee....20 pts
10. Cedar Rapids Prairie....18 pts

All-Class Top 10-[/B]
1. Iowa City West....44 pts
2. Waverly-Shell Rock....39 pts
3. Bettendorf....36 pts
4. West Des Moines, Valley....34 pts
5. Southeast Polk....32 pts
t6. Davenport Assumption....30 pts
t6. Linn-Mar, Marion....30 pts
8. Johnston....25 pts
t9. St. Edmond, Fort Dodge....24 pts
t9. West Lyon, Inwood....24 pts
t9. West Des Moines, Dowling....24 pts

..........................................................................[/B]
*Class 4A (Adjusted for swimming)-[/B]
1. Iowa City West....54 pts (+10)
2. West Des Moines, Valley....40 pts (+6)
3. Bettendorf....36 pts
4. Southeast Polk....32 pts
6. Johnston....27 pts (+2)
7. West Des Moines, Dowling....26 pts (+2)
9. Waukee....20 pts

**Other adjustments to reflect substate finalists (top 8 teams) in tennis (2 pts to each):

Class 3A-[/B]
1. Waverly-Shell Rock....39 pts
2. Davenport Assumption....30 pts
3. Clear Lake....24 pts (+2)
4. Solon....18 pts
t5. Boone....16 pts
t5. Gilbert....16 pts
t5. Decorah....16 pts
t8. Bishop Heelan, Sioux City....14 pts
t8. Dubuque Wahlert....14 pts (+2)
t10. West Delaware, Manchester....12 pts
t10. Central Clinton, DeWitt....12 pts
t10. Cedar Rapids Xavier....12 pts
t10. Creston/Orient-Macksburg....12 pts

Class 4A-[/B]
1. Iowa City West....54 pts
2. West Des Moines, Valley....40 pts
3. Bettendorf....36 pts
4. Southeast Polk....34 pts
6. Johnston....27 pts
7. West Des Moines, Dowling....26 pts
8. Waukee....22 pts (+2)

Complete list will be posted soon.

Some fun facts about the standings:

- 169 high schools made an appearance in the standings. 2A has the most of any class with 51.

- 1A had 49, 3A had 40, 4A had 29

- Counting swimming, Iowa City West has won an unbelievable 4 state championships in the 2013-2014 school year (basketball, swimming, soccer, tennis). Last year, they captured state titles in those same sports, except for swimming, and finished 2nd in track. They also just finished 2nd in baseball this year.

- Davenport Assumption won an impressive 3 state titles (baseball, individual and team wrestling), while 4 other schools won 2 state titles: West Lyon (football, basketball), Iowa City Regina (football, soccer), Monticello (cross country, track), Bettendorf (individual and team wrestling).

- Iowa City West and WDM, Valley tied for most State Top 8 finishes with 8, counting swimming (but not including substate tennis).
By class:
1A) West Lyon, Bishop Garrigan, Newell-Fonda, Don Bosco and Riverside-Oakland (3)
2A) Albia (4)
3A) Waverly-Shell Rock (6)
4A) IC West and WDM Valley (8)

- 74 teams had multiple top 8 finishes. Breakdown by class:
1A) 12
2A) 19
3A) 24
4A) 19

- St. Edmond was the only class winner to not claim a State championship.

- The Gaels settled for 3 silver trophies in the 2013-2014 season (football, golf, tennis), the most of any school.

- Counting swimming, WDM Valley and Waverly-Shell Rock had the most bronze finishes, with 4.

- Iowa City West, Southeast Polk, Dowling, Waukee, Johnston and Pleasant Valley all had the most state participant (or 5th-8th) finishes, with 3.

- Counting substate final tennis as a Top 8 finish, Clear Lake would tie with Waverly-Shell Rock for the most Top 8 finishes in Class 3A (6), while Southeast Polk and Pleasant Valley would have the most state participant finishes (4).

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT