ADVERTISEMENT

Lightning

Mar 6, 2007
With all the bad weather this week, what is the rule on lightning? I thought any lightning seen or thunder heard meant a 30 minute delay, but was at two games this week where lightning was clearly visible and ignored by umpires. Is it a judgment call by umpires or a hard and fast rule?

AD's have some kind of device that tells them how far out the lightning is. I believe the rule is that if the lightning is within a certain distance (blind guess, I'd say within 3 miles), then you delay the game. You can see lightning long before it poses a serious threat.

If lightning is seen or thunder is heard the rule is that players are to be pulled from the field for 30 minutes. Then the 30 minute period is to start over anytime lightning or thunder occurs during that wait period.

Leemark is correct. Any lightning, at any distance, is 30 minutes off field. Can retake the field 30 minutes from the last lightning strike seen. There are not supposed to be any judgment calls any more.

Even game I have watched or played in the umpires only stopped the game once the lightning became visible. I remember games when it was thundering and you didn't see lightning for an inning or two.

Stated rule by NFHS and IHSAA and actually following the rule are two very different things Maxstabs13.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT