ADVERTISEMENT

ISU @ Nationals...

MitchL

Varsity
Oct 31, 2005
Judging by the traffic on this site, no one likely cares, but I'll give my objective opinion on Cyclone wrestling as they get ready for St. Louis.

125. Larson, if he qualifies, is at best probably no better than winning a match in consolations.

133. Hall... probably a 6-9 seed that needs a good tourney to make AA. He's effective the first time guys wrestle him. When guys see his style, not so much. I predict 7th-8th.

141 DR. Unseeded, see Larson's projection above and he'll be in that boat. Really, really needed that redshirt THIS year. KJ hosed him by making him go this season.

149. Lil Moreno. Had a outside shot to AA, but sounds like a relatively serious injury, or at least an injury that will hamper him. Will, along with Hall, be ISU's best kid next season.

157. Nevermind...

165. Big Moreno...A lot will depend on his seed. I expect a 4/5. He needs to be on the other side of the bracket of Jordan and Dierenger. He's good enough to finish top 4 and I hope he does that well.

174. Unseeded, and an outside chance at round of 12. Too inconsistent to expect any better. He is ISU's version of Nick Moore. Came in with big expectations and just hasn't done well enough against top talent to expect AA status.

184 Unseeded and likely wins a match or two in consolations.

197 ISU's best chance for a finalist. Cox/Snyder/Schiller are his biggest foes. I see him as a 2/3 seed, but finishing 4th.

Hwt. Nevermind.

Teamwise... a LOT has to go right or ISU to finish top 10. I don't see it, especially given Gabe's injury. 12th-14th more likely. Given that everyone and his brother knew this would be KJ's best team of his recruited guys, pretty disappointing that this is what ISU fans have to cheer for.

Show him the door and start over. His handling of redshirts, specifically Meeks and DR, and his inability to lure elite recruits, proves he's incapable of leading the Clones back to relevance.

But the twelve people who still support better not expect much, because Pollard hasn't shown he gives a hoot about wrestling.

I'll give my assessment of Iowa when we know the B1G results.

Cyclone fans are funny! And one could argue not terribly bright.

Spent some time today at a couple Clone forums and the big debate today seems to be Big Moreno getting a 2/3/4 seed at 165. Everyone pretty much gives the OSU kid the title and Cyclone fans are fretting whether their guy will be seeded on the same side of the bracket as him.

Knowing Division 1 wrestlers, I will absolutely guarantee you that Moreno doesn't give a crap whether he finishes 2nd or 3rd if he doesn't win the title. There is very little satisfaction for him if he loses Saturday nite on the big stage. In fact... some might suggest losing your final college match and finishing second is WORSE than finishing 3rd and WINNING your final college match.

But I am well aware why Clone fans are hoping for a 2/3 seed. They think that the points difference of 2nd and 3rd will increase their chances of a top ten finish as a team. What most likely they aren't considering is that Moreno can regain those lost points by scoring bonus in the consolations.

In the end... it won't matter as ISU will not finish top ten given their likely seeding positions. When you only have KG/Big Moreno/Hall and possibly a few consolation points from TW and Lil Moreno, that doesn't project to top ten.

I am beginning to think Cyclone fans may be just as dumb as Gopher fans.

Day 1 recap... UGLY. Big Moreno losing was the shocker, but as I said earlier, he's got a chance to get a lot of bonus points in the backside matches.

For ISU to have any chance at the top ten... I think it would be better from a TEAM SCORING STANDPOINT to have both Hall and KG lose against Clark and Burak and get a boatload of bonus scoring similar to what I think Moreno can get.

Neither Hall or KG will get bonus in the winners' bracket, imo.

Not a lot to be positive about for ISU other than KG.

Another massive under performance from this KJ coached team. If this years' results don't put the final nail in the coffin for his time in Ames... I don't know what will?

The choke job from Hall and Big Moreno were totally unexpected. Any way you cut it... that's coaching.

And from a rough check of the point totals as of now... it's looks like I NAILED IT! 13th/14th place finish with Jackson's best team of his own recruits. Truly pathetic and still irrelevant.

More tomorrow.

Congrats to KG for a truly marvelous tournament, capped by the finals fall. WOW!

What a wonderful story given his personal tragedy in losing his father a few years ago.

But back to realty... the Clones will never be a top ten team again under the leadership of KJ. So the question becomes... "Do the folks responsible for that decision really care enough to make the needed changes?"

Consider a few things... for the second time in recent years, they will not have any returning All Americans. Fan apathy seems rampant. And most important... Jackson can't even be considered an "average" coach.

As a comparison... Cory Clark and Jon Meeks came into college with relatively identical high school credentials. Clark to Iowa/Meeks to ISU. As RSSophs, Clark is a National finalist while Meeks seems destined to be a career backup. There are many other things I could use to prove my point, but you know I've pointed those things out on numerous posts over the last few years.

It's going to take a minimum of 2-4 years to turn things around with a new coach if the change is made now. Wait any longer and you can stretch that time frame out even farther.

There you have it... the hard truth!

GREAT news today, if you're an Iowa Hawkeye fan... KJ's contract has been extended thru 2018.

Best part is this... there's a dang good chance the Hawks pitch a shutout against the Clones in next season's dual meet in Lames. Happy days are here to stay!

Um, i am curious there ol MitchL....isn't this a PREP site? How come you don't go over to the ISU board and post some of your crap?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT