ADVERTISEMENT

ISU loses asst.

MitchL

Varsity
Oct 31, 2005
Nickerson leaves ISU for Northern Colorado to be a definite step up for him.

Tough break for the ISU fans who visit this forum. They finally get an AA in the lighter weights, after a multi-year drought, and the coach responsible for the success leaves for greener pastures. By accounts I have seen, he was a pretty good recruiter, too.

One could speculate that there were likely more than a few reasons for this move. Although he leaves for a head coaching job, leaving a school with a rich wrestling tradition for one where wrestling is not exactly seen as a "name" sport, is a bit puzzling.

My own objective opinion is that he sees the "handwriting on the wall", so to speak. Leaving now makes sense as it allows him to leave on his own terms. Rather than being pushed out in the likely event that there is a new ISU head coach for the 2015/2016 season.

Regardless, congrats to him. Now... the question that begs to be asked... who can a likely lame duck coach(KJ) find on such short notice with recruiting connections to fill the void. There's the obvious problem for poor ISU.

Jackson may find a guy with the wrestling name recognition, but recruiting connections will be another hurdle.
This post was edited on 6/18 8:45 AM by MitchL

Wow, I had to edit my first post after I mistakenly saw UNC and assumed it was North Carolina. The UNC everybody was referring to was University of Northern Colorado.

After doing some research on Northern Colorado, this REALLY seems now like a lose/lose situation for Nickerson. Northern Colorado is a horrible program, but hey... it's in Colorado!

One could certainly reason that TN took the "Get the he#& out of Dodge" approach before the axe falls next spring in Ames.

This is becoming really sad for the long time Cyclone fans. Just another "nail in the coffin", so to speak.

Over three weeks since TN has left and absolutely NO CHATTER from any ISU fans on any wrestling sites about possible replacements! This long period of silence cannot be a good sign under anyone's interpretation. The avid Clone fans would certainly be throwing names around if there were any legitimate candidates for the job.

What certainly appears to be happening is that Jackson is getting several "NO THANKS" in finding a new assistant. This is an absolutely terrible time to be looking for a coach at the same time that recruiting is in a very crucial stage.

Things seemingly are spiraling downward, as has been the case for the last 3-4 years in Ames.

It's got to be pretty hard for any highly ranked recruits to be looking at ISU with ANY level of interest given this situation. Probably going to see the juco kids and the "high risk" recruits as the only leftover option for ISU wrestling.

Since ISU has already been overran by BOTH Iowa and UNI, they may struggle to stay ahead of Wartburg and Grandview as the third best program in-state.

As further proof that the problems at ISU are not going unnoticed among the top in-state kids this year, Thomsen, Steiert, and now Wilcke have all committed with no mention of ISU even being considered by them. Two of the three are definitely at "need" weights for ISU.

Tick, tick, tick... no coach hired as of today, and no rumors of ANY top kids considering Coach Jackson.

This gets worse by the day for Clone fans. And by indications... ISU fans seemed resigned to the fact that the wrestling program sinks further into oblivion.

As suggested over a year ago... Pollard needs to pull the plug, and soon!

Actually, I'm just updating the casual wrestling fan that isn't quite as interested in the struggles at ISU as I am.

As you, yourself can attest to, most of the ISU fans on this forum haven't won an argument with me in quite some time. So guys(gals like you and buffy87) have simply given up on debating the facts. That's fine with me, too.

I'll continue to give updates when they become available. But since Coach Jackson can't seem to find any takers for the asst. job, there may not be much to discuss for awhile.

All, and I mean all, of the momentum in the State seems to be with Coach Schwab at UNI. That has got to be a hard pill to swallow for the long time Clone fans. You appear to be somewhat of a newbie, as evidenced by your lack of input. Your posts have only been to criticize me. You have contributed absolutely nothing of value.

So when any news come thru the pipeline, I'll post it. Until then... stand back and watch ISU fade even further into irrelevance.

At this point... I'd say losing TN and not seeing much buzz about any potential high school kids with interest in ISU vastly outweighs the addition of a guy to the CWC. Not that AE isn't a good addition, but the Clone wrestling program needs a lot more positive news.

ISU needs so much help and it's highly unlikely that AE joining the CWC is going to help recruiting quick enough to help KJ keep his job. Once Jackson is shown the door... expect AE to get some asst. job within a short period of time.

But hey... I can certainly understand that his arrival is the only positive news you can muster.

What I find amusing is the conjecture about KG getting a sixth year. Why on earth would a college wrestler seek to be around a collegiate program for six years??? It's not like college wrestling offers athletes so much after their competitive days are over. Get that degree and move on to the real world.

With the amazing young talent at that weight, KG isn't winning a National title anyway. He's a top four guy... nothing more!

We both know KG is talented, but any time I've seen him wrestle against other top guys, he just gets too cautious. Too afraid to make a mistake and he ends up losing 4-3/3-2 type matches. Plus... he looks undersized at his weight. For that matter... most of the ISU guys look small.

Unless he makes big strides before next season... he's just not winning a National title. He just isn't!

I know any ISU fan would be THRILLED with a top 4. But the elite programs strive for more. KJ has insured that the Clones won't be elite anytime soon. And with the level of attrition in the program since KJ's arrival, it really shouldn't be a surprise to knowledgeable fans.

So stick to wishing guys "Happy Birthday" and golf outings, and pictures of the wrestling room, and any other thing Clone fans can do to deflect attention away from results on the mat.

Expectations are low, no doubt. Shoot for a top 15 next season... that would seem attainable. A top 10 finish is a pipe dream.

BTW: I'd be interested to know your list of who you think will replace Kevin Jackson???

I heard there was quite a few applied and heard 2 names, both I would be happy with

Care to share those names? Or are you just blowing smoke again?

This veil of secrecy among ISU fans is comical. If these "names" are really interested, it would make ISU look a little more legitimate in terms of being an attractive destination. So let's here em!

OK, then.

BTW: Stroker told me where he plans on wrestling in college, but I'm not at liberty to tell anyone else.

Buf: Always the same old crap from you when we have a discussion. I ask you a DIRECT question and all I get back is "I know but I can't tell". That contributes absolutely nothing to the topic at hand. You either want people to believe you are some "wired" insider OR you are afraid to admit you have very little info.

I suspect the last option is the accurate answer.

Doesn't really matter because the little info we get regarding ISU from any source usually doesn't reflect well on the Clones. Really sad that the general level of interest regarding ISU wrestling is virtually nonexistent. Even the long time backers seem apathetic as evidenced by the discussions on CF and other sites.

So until we see an asst. named or some second level recruit committing, I guess we'll just have to live on rumors.

MitchL:

1. You are RIGHT about Schwab taking UNI to the next level! As a UNI graduate (they felt sorry for me so they decided to sign my diploma), I am glad to see this turn of events. My son (a teammate of his) thought Schwab had a great future in coaching.

2. Since you are a fellow Hawkeye disciple, what do you see Iowa's Big 10 Tournament lineup being like? How many possible National champs?

3. In other great news, my youngest grandson (age 3) has taken an interest in wrestling and has learned the sit out escape. We are fortunate my son-in-law was a wrestler in HS.

Iron:

Welcome to the discussion.

I'll preface my response with this. This site is dedicated for hs news, so I temper some of what I post with the thought in mind that what happens at UNI, ISU, and Iowa affects the high school wrestling stars in-state. Some of their opportunities are directly connected to what happens in the Big 3 programs.

Now... to answer your questions regarding the Hawks and my own thoughts. Iowa is SOLID with Gilman, Clark, Moore, Evans, Brooks, Burak, and Telford. You should be able to pencil in 7 AAs. But as we saw last year, Moore and Lofthouse "crapped the bed" at Nationals, so there are no guarantees.

141, 149, and 157 are a little more unsettled. Dziewa is an enigma to me. Slightly undersized, not terribly aggressive, and problems finishing tds has always been an issue. I just can't pencil him in as a possible AA.

Iowa fans seem excited about Sorensen @ 149. But he's a freshman, and we'll see if that potential materializes.

The situation @ 157 is muddled for now. Lots of names(Kelly/Devos/Cooper) being thrown around.

People are touting tOSU as the next big threat this year. Me... It's still Minny/Iowa/PSU until something changes. Hawks are top tier, but I just don't feel confident, now, in saying they will win it all.

Love seeing the UNI hoopla. Schwab has everything heading in a positive direction. He will battle Brands and Co for the best in-state guys from here on out. ISU needs an overhaul to be competitive again. But judging Pollard's inaction the last few years... I question if he cares much about the Clone wrestling program.

MitchL,
You have any insight on why Marlin has left Iowa and gone to NIACC? I understand the why as to NIACC, but not the why as to leaving the Hawks.

Just the little I've heard is that academics may have played a part. Wouldn't be the first time that a star high school star that may have skated thru class couldn't hack the college demands.

Only a guess on my part, tho.

Back to the original topic.... tick/tick/tick... almost two months and no asst coach yet! There isn't any Clone fan that spin this into a positive development. If KJ can't find any takers, how does he expect to attract any good high school recruits?

Maybe YOU could become a volunteer assistant coach/bus driver over at State.

3dgrin.r191677.gif

I can't imagine that they're too picky about hiring someone after this long of a delay. So I guess I maybe should apply.

But with the situation in Ames... it's likely a short term proposition as a new head coach next year will want to bring in his own guys.

Can I use you as a reference??

I offer this only as something I was told by a very good friend who just happens to be a long time Clone fan who has been following this extended search for the asst. job at ISU.

He told me that they have had some applications from guys OUTSIDE the program, who despite not having coaching experience, were interested in the job. But there apparently was/is a catch. They are looking for more than a one year contract for some sort of job security, but the AD at ISU is unwilling to agree to that request.

One can possibly assume that the AD may be thinking that in the event of a head coaching change in the very near future, a new HC would want his own assts. and ISU would be stuck with paying an asst. who is not wanted by the new coach. Now I have a hard time believing an asst wrestling coach would be making big $$$, but I guess every dollar counts.

I stress that I don't know if this is true, but when coaching hires tale a long time, rumors are bound to circulate.

Hopefully this wraps up soon.

PURE GOLD! For those that might be interested, go to the Rivals ISU wrestling forum and read the frustration from Clone fans regarding this delay in hiring the asst.

To you RRF... call me anything you like, but it seems you, as a parent, don't have a clue what is happening. Your statement on Sunday that a statement was imminent proved worthless, as usual.

Diehard ISU fans can't seem to figure out who to blame, KJ or Pollard. FWIW... both are INEPT!

And for those who seem frustrated that Jon Reader didn't get the ISU asst job... ISU NEEDS a lightweight coaching hire.

It's pretty easy to see the evaporation of the ISU fanbase over this circus.

BTW: The thread to read is "Jon Reader"

Mitch is slacking, it has been five days. If any of you are his family members, maybe go check on him. There has NOT been any hire.

Maybe the inept folks at ISU can use this to lure some people Mitch. Anything could help, don't you agree??

http://www.bestcollegereviews.org/50-best-college-towns-america/

Just back from vacation. I pledged I wouldn't look at the forums while the family enjoyed the Dells.

But now I see the juveniles have been pretty busy with meaningless drivel. What's new... right?

As I stated recently, I'll not post anything that isn't sports/wrestling related as to clutter up this site.

I'll let the junior varsity post until there is anything relevant.

Saints: Any truth that the only applicant for the ISU job couldn't pass a drug test? Ha, Ha

I get all my relevant info from you Mitch, so it must be true. Did you get to ride the Ducks? Pretty cool device in my opinion. There was an awesome restaurant there when I went, 2001, that served an unbelievable number of different types of pancakes. Hope you had a chance to hit that one up. Keep the entertainment coming, it was boring while you were gone. Drug test huh, glad to see there is no depth of low you won't explore. I'll let you get back to Rosy while sitting in your own feces.

Do you know how I know that I'm getting under your skin? When your replies become nasty, vulgar, and mean!

Apparently we are at that point. Too bad, really, because we had some earlier discussions that were very cordial and civil.

If you continue down this road, it might be in your best interest to refrain from responding and merely absorb the info and go from there.

I'm beginning to believe that this extended coaching search has frayed the nerves of EVERY ISU wrestling fan.

Harold Nichols would be rolling over in his grave if he knew how Jamie Pollard and KJ have destroyed the once proud Cyclone wrestling program.

Now I'm seeing reports that several lighter weight wrestlers have exited the program in the recent past. Experienced backups, to boot. I'm pretty sure this attrition will cost Larson, Hall, and Meeks valuable room competition. Pretty bleak future for those guys. Oh, and did I mention, ISU still can't find a coach to mentor them!!!

MitchL,
You made an accusation about a failed drug test, but the responder is nasty, vulgar and mean? Saints comment at the end wasn't good, but your actions have been no better. I have spoken to Mr. Pollard a few times over the past few years at xc meets. I have even had an occasional email conversation. I could send him an email asking about such things, but I am sure I would get the standard, "We cannot discuss personnel issues." So I doubt anyone would ever know the truth about such a thing. If he did reply with an actual answer, I would get on here and tell you Mr. Pollard said, "…." If you have some info from actual sources, give it up - sources included - or keep it from the posts. You aren't doing anyone any good with this non-acredited information. You are just stirring the pot, which is your intent. You say it is to inform, well, then give us this so-called source and stand by your statements. No name calling, no nasty words from me. Just be helpful or stay away, PLEASE!!!

I put the "Ha/Ha" in there because I didn't have the smiley face emoticon. I can't imagine anyone reading this and getting all bent out of shape. Apparently this long delay has frustrated ISU fans to the point that they get defensive without too much provocation.

I just love these random posters who "claim" to exchange e-mails and namedrop the AD's name. Must be nice to be all dialed in to the inner workings of ISU athletics. We have the "I know but can't tell" guy, the parent of a wrestler who claimed two and a half weeks ago that an announcement was imminent, and now the guy who exchanges e-mails!

In the end... it seems no one connected to ISU wrestling has any clue what's isn't happening.

And me... I get to poke fun at a fanbase that seems to be engaging in their own private little "civil war".

Great comedy, to be sure.

BTW: Anyone with a bit of common sense would know that a failed drug test would never become public info. No sense of humor on this forum.

Saints: I really hope you didn't receive the "banhammer" for your last post. I know sometimes ones' emotions get the better of us and we wish we could take things back.

I kind of enjoy the back and forth. Everyone deserves a "mulligan". Hope to see you regain your composure and resume the conversation at a later date.

Stroker to Minnesota, how did Iowa lose him MitchL????? I have heard from close sources that Iowa wasn't in his top 10, because they showed no interest or invited him to visit. Cmon MitchL.

None of the 3 Iowa schools.contacted him in the July recruiting period. I would think that is more than a coincidence.

As cid stated... reports were that things cooled between the two sides. Could be any number of reasons. Maybe Strokers wanted more scholly $$$ than Iowa was willing to give. Maybe Iowa has other guys on the radar. Maybe after McD, Ramos, and Metcalf returned from Tempe, they may have learned something that changed the minds of the Iowa coaches.

If Iowa doesn't sign a kid in that weight range or get a commit this fall, then Hawk fans will worry. And remember... Stroker didn't exactly have a great Fargo tourney. High school credentials don't always translate to college success. As proof of that, you only have to look to the projected 141 at ISU.

This is not sour grapes on my part. Stroker could very well turn out to be a star. Lots of things can happen in the next 4-5 years.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT