ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa @ Nationals...

MitchL

Varsity
Oct 31, 2005
I will preface this by stating that when I suggest a guy is unseeded, I am talking being seeded in the top ten or so. The committee seeds out to a "16", so technically... 10-16 IS still a seeded wrestler.

125. Gilman has the potential to be wrestling on Sat. nite, but he has proven he can lose 3-2/2-1 to other top guys. I am guessing a 4/5 seed and a mid to low AA finish.

133. Clark is really close to ALL the top guys. I think he is Iowa's most aggressive guy and the best chance for bonus points. I predict another 4/5 seed and a finish ABOVE that seed.

141. Jeva overachieved at B1G tourney and improved his seed, imo. A 6/7 is possible and a good chance at low AA.

149. Sorensen is a potential finalist and a top 4 seed, no doubt. I think he wrestles to seed and finishes 2nd.

157. Kelly has a chance to win a match in consolations. Unseeded.

165 See above. Without a doubt, the biggest disappointment for the Hawks this year.

174 Evans and the other three B1G guys are your top 4 seeds. Being that Evans and Storley are a notch below Brown and Kokesh, I have one fear for Evans. Lose on Friday nite and being a senior... you toss in the towel from disappointment and he loses Saturday morning and ends up in the 5th/6th place match. I predict a 5th place finish.

184. Brooks had a hiccup at conference and it will cost him a couple spots in seeding. My guess is a 10 or so. He will finish a little higher than that in the 7-8 range.

197. Burak is a likely 7/8 seed. If he sees Cox in the quarters... it's a lot of matches to get to AA from that loss. But I like his effort. I will predict he beats Gadsen or Schiller should they meet. Overall, I see a 7th place.

Hwt. Telford is my lone pick as a Hawkeye National champ. Likely a 3 seed, beats the NW Heavy of Friday nite and Gwiz on Sat. nite.

Teamwise... looks like a three team race with Misery and tOSU. I think the Hawks win with backside points and a stumble or two from the Bucks and Tigers.

And one final rant... The majority of the B1G finals were a snoozefest. Outside of Stieber/MartinezKokesh... the strategy seems to be an early takedown and then stall. Refs have recently tended to swallow their whistles at Nationals. If that trend continues... college wrestling will NEVER attract the casual fan.

The Iowa coaches are as guilty as any in not being able to get guys to "open" up. They have recruited good high school kids, but not the "great" guys.

It doesn't help that the quality of Iowa high school wrestling is down.

Day 1 recap... Ugly! This senior class has been an absolute disaster today.

Nick Moore will go down in Iowa wrestling history as the BIGGEST BUST ever.

Like ISU... having a high seed in the consolations does give you some big bonus potential in Telford.

Friday morning will be make or break for Iowa, imo Gilman/Clark/Evans must win. If Burak can somehow beat Gadsen, Iowa can distance themselves because the quarters are where the HUGE points come from winning. You are guaranteed no worse than 6th with a victory.

BTW: Sorensen losing was a shocker, but I will cut him some slack because he's a freshman.

As per usual... this years' semis were absolutely FANTASTIC for the most part. Top seeds being upset and the next batch of young studs making a name for themselves.

Regarding the Hawks... Clark was obviously the bright spot.

But lots of criticism will be leveled at wrestlers AND coaches. And it will be well deserved.

The real story of this years' Nationals will be the performance of the Ohio State freshmen at 125 and 197.

More on Saturday.

My wrap up for this season concerning the Hawks...

Many, many fans would be ecstatic if their team finished as a runnerup to the championship. I would venture the vast majority of Hawk fans are extremely frustrated from what they saw for the last three days.

Virtually no offense in the 1st period all week. Very little production from the senior class, outside of Telford on the backside.

Has Brands lost the ability to establish an aggression Iowa fans have come to expect? I certainly don't have an answer, but I sense Iowa will be playing second fiddle to schools like tOSU and Penn State for the next couple of years.

If I am correct... only Gilman and Clark wrestled above seed. That's not acceptable for a school considered among the elite programs of all time.

With a core group of Sorensen/Clark/Gilman leading the team next year, the potential is there. But there are numerous holes to fill.

I don't see Iowa winning a title any time soon.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT