ADVERTISEMENT

harlan wrestling

ronsss

All Conference
Nov 8, 2003
harlan has really been bad the last couple decades, i don,t know why this school had let it go the way it has...in the late 60s, if anyone can remember here, they were dominate. harlan was the best wresting school in southwest iowa, and i think one year they finished 6th in the state tournatment, and that was with the big schools.. i see no hope for them at the moment to come back to the status they use to be...just wonder what happen there...

here are results

Team Top Four Finishes
1969 (AAA): 4th
1968 (AA): 4th
1967 (A): 1st
1966 (A): 4th

Last edited:
they actually finished 4th in state in 69....results

1969 Class AAA State Wrestling Championship
Top 4
1. Waterloo West
2. Cedar Falls
3. Cedar Rapids Jefferson
4. Harlan

Individual Champions
95 - Steve Natvig, Waterloo East
103 - Dave Nichol, Cedar Falls
112 - Donald Williams, Des Moines Tech
120 - Dave Moses, Waterloo West
127 - Lee Johnson, Crestwood
133 - Bill Andrew, Waterloo West
138 - Jeff Cox, Harlan
145 - Jordan Smith, Dubuque
154 - Steve Strellner, South Tama
165 - Rich Binek, Waterloo West
180 - Reece Wilson, Waterloo West
Hwt - Henry Blanke, Cedar Rapids Jefferson

Comments

Consistently good high school programs are the direct result of a strong youth program, and a high school coach invested in the success of his feeder program.

Reactions: WSC72
They usually have one or two good wrestlers but not a good team. Also what hurts Harlan is they usually don't have all the weights filled. I agree to get better they need more dedicated coaches. Bladt was an assistant for a long time but quit the last couple of years. I guess he helped with jv this year at tournaments. Almost every year they have different help- Hough did it for a while, Kelly did it for a while it is usually a parent on the team and once their kid graduates they don't really stick with the program. This year they had assistant that use to wrestle at Atlantic I don't know his name. He made state in high school. A couple of other former wrestlers at Harlan helped with the program for a couple years. Hard for the kids when its a different coach helping almost every year.

Last year was the worst they had in a while when no one made state their best wrestler didn't want to wrestle at districts. They got two to state this year. Wrestling just isn't supported in the community like other sports. Football is the main sports pushed. Harlan has been good at volleyball lately since we got a better coach. Both basketball programs are pushed before wrestling. You don't see many people at the wrestling tournaments from Harlan except the parents. Not many people in the community care if they are good or bad.

did not use to be that way...when i was in high school, 69, they had many people at the contests...and each weight has 5 or 6 wrestlers....i emailed the athletic director, he said they were do very well there..i don,t agree with him

i can remember when harlan had that great run in the 60,s...mcNeil was the coach, and he was actually teaching the 6 graders.....there was a full gym of kids in the 6 th grade, and it showed later on down the road with the succes in the late 60,s...unfortuately for harlan, they lost mcneil, went back to home town school to coach...believe it was in cedar rapids

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT