ADVERTISEMENT

Fall 2001, Inaugural season of football talk on iowapreps.com

bcmoore87

All District
Oct 30, 2001
Who is still around from that inaugural (or early) seasons of Iowa High School football talk?

What are your memories?

* I remember the site was iapreps.com
* I remember first posting once or twice to Des Moines Registers' site before iapreps.com. The iapreps.com product was dramatically better.
* Some time in the early years there was an offer to buy a iapreps.com T-shirt. Does anyone have a shirt?
* I remember debating/predicting with Dirty Old Red Bird: the outcome of Class A #1 Manning vs #2 Treynor (my computer had a 1-point prediction for the home favorite Manning). I also remember supporting the Treynor team against its detractor who said they simply had an inflated record from a weak district.
* I believe I remember the general disbelief of fans in Dowling's back-to-back wins. Eastern Iowa had "owned" the championship for years.
* I remember Class 1A and 2A boards sometimes being disfunctional: lots of personal attacks, not a lot of insight.

bcmoore87, user #250

Reactions: mtdew_fever
2001 was an interesting team for Dowling. They didn't quite have the "wow" factor the 2000 team did and could have had the season derailed with an injury (lots of two way guys, weak junior class, only 50 guys on team). I also think the general level of play was weaker than in years past (like Valley lost Follett, Lutenegger, Toomey etc).

Who is still around from that inaugural (or early) seasons of Iowa High School football talk?

What are your memories?

* I remember the site was iapreps.com
* I remember first posting once or twice to Des Moines Registers' site before iapreps.com. The iapreps.com product was dramatically better.
* Some time in the early years there was an offer to buy a iapreps.com T-shirt. Does anyone have a shirt?
* I remember debating/predicting with Dirty Old Red Bird: the outcome of Class A #1 Manning vs #2 Treynor (my computer had a 1-point prediction for the home favorite Manning). I also remember supporting the Treynor team against its detractor who said they simply had an inflated record from a weak district.
* I believe I remember the general disbelief of fans in Dowling's back-to-back wins. Eastern Iowa had "owned" the championship for years.
* I remember Class 1A and 2A boards sometimes being disfunctional: lots of personal attacks, not a lot of insight.

bcmoore87, user #250

So you are saying the 1A and 2A boards haven't changed much based on which class Regina is in? ;)

So you are saying the 1A and 2A boards haven't changed much based on which class Regina is in? ;)
Just the teams have changed.

BC, I remember hearing about all the dung hurling going on back then. Good times. To call these times "tame" by comparison, a gross understatement wouldn't even begin to describe it...;)

I started monitoring the 4A and 3A boards in 2002. I had a nephew playing for a Southeastern 3A team in 2002 and one day while I checking out the scores, I noticed this site. IMO the newspapers (DMR) internet coverage of the CIML seemed so much better then now, before they figured out they couldn't keep doing it for free. "Back in the day" It seemed like there were more spirited threads. There was Irish football fan a Dowling supporter, Muck the loyal Burlington fan, Screwloose of course with his annual playoff predictions based on points and there was a SEP fan with a name that escapes me. It seemed like Pax was on the 3A board more in the early days.

there was a SEP fan with a name that escapes me.

here are all the ones I recall:
Quietriot
Nolookpass
WeRunThis08
Sgt Knock
SEPhuink

I also remember this one guy who posted on there and after the season ended he "came out" as Jeff Woody.

I remember Jeff Woody. Class. Was always respectful and insightful.

I've been crunching these playoff numbers for a long time...2002? Didn't think it was that long...damn! Labor of love, I guess.

I was a lot more active prior to 2010, but marriage & work change your priorities. No more late nights researching to refute wrong-headed posts.

ADVERTISEMENT