ADVERTISEMENT

Districts ARE OUT

Originally posted by rkhemp:

For someone to guarantee the outcome of D5 in January would have to be:

a) very knowledgeable of every team in that district
b) physic
c) very arrogant
d) a combination of the above
so, are you saying my prediction is going to be wrong?

And, I think I have a pretty good outlook on all the teams in the district.
Statistics do not lie.

The better coaches always rise to the top.
And, in D5, the best coaches happen to have the same last name.

It's fun to see people's predictions. It's also fun to see people guarantee the results of an upcoming high school football season. I did not however know the statistics to the 2014 season were already out. Could you guide me to them?

It's fun to see people's predictions. It's also fun to see people guarantee the results of an upcoming high school football season. I did not however know the statistics to the 2014 season were already out. Could you guide me to them?
you win on that one. Offensive and Defensive stats have not been posted year.

Roster 'stats' are nearly 100% public knowledge, though.
I know what each team has (or does not) have coming back for 2014.

Barring some pretty amazing move-ins or open enrollments, it is fairly easy to project even this far in advance.

ALBURNETT - lost A Phillips. That's a lot.
BELLEVUE - returns its QB and his #3 target
DURANT - nobody of consequence returns
N CEDAR - as mentioned, QB and his #4 WR return. that's all
WAPELLO - returns its #1 and #3 RB (who combined for just over 440 yards) and its #1 WR
WILTON - graduated every conceivable main statistical contributor, but return 2 very good OL
WB - lost the district's leading rusher. But return its QB, #2-3-4 WR targets and all 5 OL

Also, you avoided my question: do you think my prediction is wrong?

If a team other than WB or Wilton (if they remain healthy) wins the district, it would be a pretty big upset.
Please keep this topic pinned. Print it out. Put it on your bulletin board, or whatever helps you feel better about trying to be a devil's advocate.

let's rehash this topic in mid October, Kempy.

Actually, the way I read it is you guaranteed West Branch and Wilton would finish 1 and 2. They very well may but it is a long ways away to be "booking it."

Since according to you West Branch did not deserve to even be in the playoffs last year but you have already booked them as a top 2 district finisher next year, how far are you willing to book them?

Actually, the way I read it is you guaranteed West Branch and Wilton would finish 1 and 2. They very well may but it is a long ways away to be "booking it."

Since according to you West Branch did not deserve to even be in the playoffs last year but you have already booked them as a top 2 district finisher next year, how far are you willing to book them?
I will let you know in October.

I am interested in the schedules coming out. I would say mid September would give a clearer picture on predicting the outcomes.

Originally posted by iahsfbfan00:
I don't really see anyone giving Regina a very good game in District 6. Don't know a lot about West Marshall though.

District 5 will probably come down to Wilton and West Branch, although I think North Cedar will be better than people are giving them credit for. They have a great player at qb in Johnson. Wapello played a lot of young players last year, but needs to replace a very good qb.

The biggest problem for the District 5 teams for the next two years is that to get to Cedar Falls they will most likely have to beat Regina in the playoffs.

I know West Lyon had a great team last year, anyone know what they will be like next season?
West Lyon will be the team to beat in D2, no doubt, but will need to build some depth in the offseason. Last years team was special and would be very comparable to Regina.

They return alot of their OL including Newborg (Iowa Commit). The thing that will really help WL is the amount of playing time that their underclassman got last fall. Normally playing nearly half the game.

WL has more pieces coming back than what the stat sheet says it just depends on if these guys develop over the next 7 months.

Would Rank 1A

1. Regina
2. West Lyon
3. St. Edmond
4. West Branch
5. DNH

Originally posted by usfhawk:
I don't really see anyone giving Regina a very good game in District 6. Don't know a lot about West Marshall though.

District 5 will probably come down to Wilton and West Branch, although I think North Cedar will be better than people are giving them credit for. They have a great player at qb in Johnson. Wapello played a lot of young players last year, but needs to replace a very good qb.

The biggest problem for the District 5 teams for the next two years is that to get to Cedar Falls they will most likely have to beat Regina in the playoffs.

I know West Lyon had a great team last year, anyone know what they will be like next season?
West Lyon will be the team to beat in D2, no doubt, but will need to build some depth in the offseason. Last years team was special and would be very comparable to Regina.

They return alot of their OL including Newborg (Iowa Commit). The thing that will really help WL is the amount of playing time that their underclassman got last fall. Normally playing nearly half the game.

WL has more pieces coming back than what the stat sheet says it just depends on if these guys develop over the next 7 months.

Would Rank 1A

1. Regina
2. West Lyon
3. St. Edmond
4. West Branch
5. DNH
Hate to dwell on the past and bring this up, because I'm sure it will start a ton of fuss, but I wish we could've seen West Lyon vs Regina last year. I doubted you, usfhawk, and didn't think West Lyon could compete with them and I believe I was dead wrong. Wouldn't mind seeing that match-up this season in Class 1A for the title!

Originally posted by cidhawkeye:

Pribs I have heard the same rumblings that you have. I did hear that City may play a freshman game against Regina, the last one didn't turn out so good for City.
So what you are saying is that a small private school located in a large metor area has enough talent to hang with a large 4A school... interesting.

2 years look for a multiplier for private schools.

Sorry you are correct I intended this to be on another thread!
This post was edited on 1/29 9:33 AM by Rembrandt52328

Not sure how you got that out of what I posted but so be it. The reality is 6 years ago City and Regina played a freshman game and Regina controlled the game. Feel free to take it however you want.

Originally posted by SICL Cares:
Hate to dwell on the past and bring this up, because I'm sure it will start a ton of fuss, but I wish we could've seen West Lyon vs Regina last year. I doubted you, usfhawk, and didn't think West Lyon could compete with them and I believe I was dead wrong. Wouldn't mind seeing that match-up this season in Class 1A for the title!
Yeah, that would've been nice to see West Lyon and Regina play in the semifinals. Though the best two teams played in the finals last year, regardless of what people, namely Regina fans, think.

But yeah I get what you're saying...........
smokin.r191677.gif

Originally posted by zombie83:
West lyon would have beat regina this year. But too bad we cant see the matchup.
West Branch's 1992 team would have beat Regina last year, too.

Too bad we cannot see that matchup

:)

Well to be fair, the players on West Branch's 1992 team would all be 38-40 years old now .....

West Lyon was a great team last year, as for blames post: I hate to break it to you but I don't think any 1A team from the 1990's could come close to beating Regina including the 1992 bears lol

Originally posted by pribs36:
West Lyon was a great team last year, as for blames post: I hate to break it to you but I don't think any 1A team from the 1990's could come close to beating Regina including the 1992 bears lol
i hate to break it to you but the Regals of 2013 would not hang with Pekin 1998.
that was the best 1A team I have ever seen.

they beat WB in the 1st round of the playoffs by the 50 pt mercy rule at halftime (60-7). had over 500 yards of rushing on us in one half.

Derek Sobaski = stud
their quarterfinal game score of 39-6 was the closest game they had all year. they won the title game 55-14

look at page 68 of this link

https://www.iahsaa.org/football/2013_FB_Stat_Book.pdf

I would consider West Lyon's1999 team (2A at that time) a lot better than Regina this fall along with West Lyon's 2013 team.

This post was edited on 2/1 9:08 AM by usfhawk

I took my sons to that 1999 championship game that West Lyon won. That team was like totally awesome. It was like men against boys in the championship game.

West Lyon's 1999 team was one of the best teams I have seen in small school football. Right up there with the 2013 West Lyon team.

I saw Regina last year and they also would make a great argument along with Solon a few years back.

Solon was never 1A? Also scores mean nothing Regina could have scored 100 points in most of their games, and West Lyon and Pekin probably could have too, once you get up 35 most coaches take their foot off the pedal

Solon was never 1A? Also scores mean nothing Regina could have scored 100 points in most of their games, and West Lyon and Pekin probably could have too, once you get up 35 most coaches take their foot off the pedalI am aware of Solon not being 1A. But, stated small school football. 2A is small school football.

Ok if we are talking 2A then the best defense was the 2010 Regina team and best offense was probably the 2009 Solon team anchored by James Morris

Ok if we are talking 2A then the best defense was the 2010 Regina team and best offense was probably the 2009 Solon team anchored by James Morris
I agree,

There have been some very dominate teams over the last 5 years. The 2013 West Lyon team would be in the mix IMO

West Lyon's 1999 team was one of the best teams I have seen in small school football. Right up there with the 2013 West Lyon team.

I saw Regina last year and they also would make a great argument along with Solon a few years back.
The 2013 West Lyon team was great and all but I don't put them in the same discussion as the late 90's teams you mention and I would have gone with Regina last year vs them. Whooping up in class A is a whole lot different than the 2A competition they had back then. You knew from the start there was not a team in class A that would touch WL last year. The 1999 team was great and all but they and the 1998 team which was pretty much as good only beat E'burg by a TD each year early in the playoffs and those two E'burg teams were not even close to as good as the 1997 E'burg team with Nelson, Steen, Kaufman etc. that went unbeaten and pretty much untested except for falling asleep vs DCG in an ice bowl game and blowing a lead to make things interesting. That E'burg team lost it's projected starting tailback before the season and the starting QB part way through and did not miss a beat.

Great argument to have. A lot of great teams over the years.

Comparing the West Lyon teams is tough due to the classification difference. Both were great teams that rank up there with the Reginas and Solons.

This post was edited on 2/7 9:12 PM by usfhawk

Originally posted by SICL Cares:

Would Rank 1A

1. Regina
2. West Lyon
3. St. Edmond
4. West Branch
5. DNH
That would have been an epic game last year. West Lyon just destroyed what was a pretty damn good BGM team (which they would have done even if Kline hadn't gotten hurt), and Regina is Regina. Regina really reminds me of some of Harlan's championship teams, in the sense that sometimes you watch them and it doesn't really feel like they're dominating the game, but then you look at the numbers and the game wasn't even close.

I would have liked to see that game, looking forward to the possible Xavier matchup this fall. I agree on watching Regina play, some of that is by design. They want to work on some things that they may be having issues with, something they will need in 3 weeks etc. They are also very aware of how it feels to be on the other end and having a team keep their foot on the gas.

It is too bad that Regina and West Lyon couldn't have faced off last year, both weren't tested at all really in their respective classes. I don't think you can compare West lyon to the class 2A Regina and Solon teams though, they were simply on another level, but it sounds like the '99 WL team was up there for 2A squads

No you cant, but i do think west lyon would have got them this year. On the other hand the 99 west lyon team as one of the best football teams i have seen. I think they rate as one of the tops teams ever so far in 2a.

There were some pretty good Manning teams. The 1995 or 1996 Guthrie Center team was no slouch.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT