ADVERTISEMENT

Class A- District 4

I totally forgot alburnett beat belle plain this year so they do have a leg up in that and will win the tie breaker on them. So alburnett will be crossing their fingers that Hudson n Gr beat belle plain. Now with that being said they also need to hope there isn't a 3 way tie in district 3 or right there goes an at large spot. I don't think there will be but Nashua is already at +46 so that is rough even without the 3 way tie. In district 1 alburnett will need n want gehlan to beat Westwood because of the points gehlan already has. As for district 2 I think they all trail by 2 many points to be a threat to alburnett wouldn't worry about them honestly

hey we've made it a 2nd page on this thread! That usually only happens with a Regina thread or private vs parochial debate. :)

3 way ties, upset of 1-2 seed in any district 'right now ' (aside from Hudson and GR beating belle plaine) is not what Alburnett want to see.

Thx GoPa for pointing out the last last tiebreaker (alphabet scenario). That is good news for Alburnett this year.
At least as far as Alburnett -Earlham, the target number for point differential is +51

Reactions: GOPANTHERS23
Right!!! Lol dam Regina....
No problem, I'm pulling for you guys to get in. It would be very good showing for r district to get 3 teams in back to back seasons.

Alb has a very tough game this week with Lisbon who was the preseason favorite to win the district over Wapsie and East Buc. Right now i believe based on points and standings, Belle Plaine and New London are sitting in the WC spot with two weeks left. Yes Alb does hold the head to head matchup with BP but must win and win by 17 for best chance otherwise they may get passed by someone else on points.A lot of huge games the next two weeks in other districts that will have a ton to say about the WC spots. It will be interesting to see if both WC spots come out of the east who actually will get shipped west, Hudson or possibly St Ang as you will see some interesting matchups. Huge game with W Hancock and St Ansgar this week, one of them will be traveling 1st rd of the playoffs.

Troutstamp the way I take the guidelines is belle plain no matter what the points are it won't matter because alburnett will push them to the back so belle plain will need to finish first in points because if they don't they will slide down and won't get in on the tie breaker of alburnett.

Alb needs to win because with a loss that would give them 3 district loses, the most BP can finish with is 2 district loses. To many people are already putting ALB in as a wild card over BP and they have to beat one of the top teams in the distrct yet in Lisbon who by the way was a pre season # 1 in some polls. After this week we will have a better idea and we may not even be talking about either team if we start seeing 3 way ties in other districts.

Not sure why everyone is assuming that Belle Plaine is going to roll over for GR. Note: that game is going to be played on a neural field.

its being played on the artificial surface in Independence. The GR field was tore up during the monsoon Hudson game. Even though GR is giving up home field, I think the move benefits them with their passing offense.

I'm pretty sure no one (at least I'm not) is saying its a done deal that Alburnett cruises past Lisbon and rolls to a wildcard spot. This is a District 4 thread, so running scenario in which that happens and D4 gets a 3rd team in. Lisbon is as much alive as Alburnett is for that 3rd spot. Its an elimination game for the loser. And the winner still needs several things to go their way to qualify as WildCard. Alburnett has some advantages but point differential ,currently, is not one of them. Nor is it for Lisbon. Both need the top 2 teams in the districts currently to win out (except for Belle Plaine , as we have noted previously, although that really only hurts BP it seems if Alburnett finished 3rd).

Any upsets to district leaders or 3 way tie is bad news for any other 3rd place finishers .

alburnett will beat Lisbon. Lisbon is just not that good this year and was overrated much of the year. It helped them by playing literally no one to start the year. Lisbon will be trying to play spoiler on alburnett because that's all they are playing for because their points are way to low to have a shot to get in.

Help me understand how the wild card tie breakers work in the following hypothetical scenario...
Belle Plaine (5-2 in district) avg pt diffential 8.5 (0-1 vs Alb)
Alb (5-2 in district) avg pt differential 7.0 (1-0 vs BP)
New London (4-2 in district) avg pt differential 8.0 (no games played against other opponents)
Earlham (5-2 in district) avg pt differential 7.28

Which two would make it?

Help me understand how the wild card tie breakers work in the following hypothetical scenario...
New London (4-2 in district) avg pt differential 8.0 (no games played against other opponents)

Which two would make it?

Alb and New L
BP would be eliminated from contention because of the Alb loss

Which two would make it?

My interpretation of the selection of 'at large " team based on post season manual would be that alburnett and earlham make it. This is assuming that all 4 teams in your scenario are all 3rd place finisher in their district (ie not a co-champion). 2nd criteria is district record, so my thought would be that eliminates New London. Not sure really I find that fair, but there is an advantage to playing in a district with 7 teams as opposed to 8, in that you have better odds of finishing 1 or 2 compared to all teams in other districts from the outset . Belle Plaine drops out based on head to head loss with Alburnett.

However, that's just how I'd interpret that. No idea if that is correct when it comes to next Friday night. If iahsaa considers 5-2 and 4-2 district records EQUAL. then I would say it is New London and Earlham

My interpretation of the selection of 'at large " team based on post season manual would be that alburnett and earlham make it. This is assuming that all 4 teams in your scenario are all 3rd place finisher in their district (ie not a co-champion). 2nd criteria is district record, so my thought would be that eliminates New London. Not sure really I find that fair, but there is an advantage to playing in a district with 7 teams as opposed to 8, in that you have better odds of finishing 1 or 2 compared to all teams in other districts from the outset . Belle Plaine drops out based on head to head loss with Alburnett.

However, that's just how I'd interpret that. No idea if that is correct when it comes to next Friday night. If iahsaa considers 5-2 and 4-2 district records EQUAL. then I would say it is New London and Earlham

That is right i didn't look close enough at pt diff. I don't know how the state will look at the district with one less team.My guess is they will only look at L's but who knows.

So it sounds like you are interpreting it as BP because 0 - 1 versus one of the teams, drops to end of all 5-2 teams, rather than just to behind Alb? I have no idea but there appears to me to be multiple ways to interpret their criteria ... can't wait to see how it comes out - gotta love HS football :)

Interpretation A (assumes BP moves to end because of 0-1 and Alb moves to top because of 1-0)
1) Alb - 5-2 (1-0) pt diff 7
2) NL - 4-2 (assuming losses not W%) (0-0) pt diff 8.0
3) Earlham - 5-2 (0-0) pt diff 7.28
4) BP - 5-2 (0-1) pt diff 8.5

Interpretation B (assumes Alb bumps to top because 0-1 but then Pt Diff because no direct H-t-H)
2) BP - 5-2 (0-1) pt diff 8.5
3) NL - 4-2 (assuming losses not W%) (0-0) pt diff 8.0
4) Earlham - 5-2 (0-0) pt diff 7.28

Interpretation C
Alb - 5-2 (1-0) pt diff 7
Earlham - 5-2 (0-0) pt diff 7.28
BP - 5-2 (0-1) pt diff 8.5
NL - 4-2 (assuming W% not Ls) (0-0) pt diff 8.0

Interpretation D (assumes if no direct H-t-H that diff prevails)
NL - 4-2 (assuming Ls) (0-0) pt diff 8.0

That is right i didn't look close enough at pt diff. I don't know how the state will look at the district with one less team.My guess is they will only look at L's but who knows.

This may be why they typically show the Avg Pt Diff as opposed to the Total Pt Differential - to accomodate potential differences in number of district games?

I don't think the state could punish New London for Danville not playing varsity football this year.

So it sounds like you are interpreting it as BP because 0 - 1 versus one of the teams, drops to end of all 5-2 teams, rather than just to behind Alb? I have no idea but there appears to me to be multiple ways to interpret their criteria ... can't wait to see how it comes out - gotta love HS football :)

Interpretation A (assumes BP moves to end because of 0-1 and Alb moves to top because of 1-0)
2) NL - 4-2 (assuming losses not W%) (0-0) pt diff 8.0
3) Earlham - 5-2 (0-0) pt diff 7.28
4) BP - 5-2 (0-1) pt diff 8.5

Interpretation B (assumes Alb bumps to top because 0-1 but then Pt Diff because no direct H-t-H)
2) BP - 5-2 (0-1) pt diff 8.5
3) NL - 4-2 (assuming losses not W%) (0-0) pt diff 8.0
4) Earlham - 5-2 (0-0) pt diff 7.28

Interpretation C

NL - 4-2 (assuming Ls) (0-0) pt diff 8.0

Actually none of these are my interpretation. BP is eliminated from contention because of head to head. The rest are determined by pts
NL 8.0
Earlham 7.28
Alb 7.0
BP eliminated due to HtH

That is assuming NL isn't nicked for the one less win.

Last edited:
I don't think the state could punish New London for Danville not playing varsity football this year.

It seems unkind. but I think just looking at it mathematically, the district with 7 teams already has a couple advantages. 1) the slightly better odds of finishing 1st or 2nd out of 7 versus 8, and 2) the point differential even with an average is going to be a little more biased with 6 games vs 7.

Of course, I'm an Alburnett fan, so take that bias into consideration as well!

Okay guys the way it works is that the state recognizes the 4 wins of new London as equal to the 5 of everyone else because if you really want to pick at it they could put a 5 for a forfeit by Danville. I know that's how that works.
As for the way that loss with belle plain to alburnett works is it don't take them out of contention per say is the way I take it. It only will drop belle plain behind alburnett. So let's say alburnett finishes 2nd in the wild card and belle plain would be first it won't matter because it will just flip flop them but if belle plain is 2nd and alburnett is 3rd they will flip flop them two. So belle plain will only drop behind alburnett not every other team as long as their points r more than the other teams. So belle plain will need to finish 1 and alburnett 2 for belle plain to get in. Just the way I take it so interpretation D would be correct

Well Alburnett did what they needed to with the win over Lisbon. Have to say, I'm torn with the system however. Both teams knew they had to win and were trying to win by a number. Which just seemed a little 'seedy' to me. But with Alburnett up 39-22, Lisbon scored with about 2 minutes left to make it 39-28. Lisbon went for 2 and it became really the biggest play of the game , maybe the season, for Alburnett / Earlham. So while chasing the points didn't feel great, it did make it pretty exciting/ impactful when the game had otherwise been decided.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT