ADVERTISEMENT

CAL to share football with Clarion

Odd they would share with Clarion-Goldfield-Dows. I would have thought they would have tried to share with Hampton-Dumont or even Belmond-Klemme.

I don't know the BEDS numbers, but going to Hampton-Dumont or B-K might have bumped them up over the limit. I'm not sure how the state is handeling these situations now, but they took A LOT of heat a couple of years ago when two 8 man teams joined to form Southwest Valley. Southwest Valley had a BEDS number that would have put them all the way up to 1A, but they were allowed to play in 8 man that year.

I know in the past when it was a late decision the school stayed in their classification.

If CAL would have shared with Hampton-Dumont, Belmond-Klemme, or West Fork it would have bumped any of them up a class and make them not eligible for the playoffs this year. Clarion-Goldfield-Dows is a small enough 2A school that they could absorb the CAL numbers and not get bumped to 3A.

CAL was supposed to play NEH in week 1. When NEH went away, CAL picked up Cedar Valley Christian for week 0 (a 10th game for CVC). Now, CVC is back to 9 games.

Crazy.

Such are the perils of 8-man. You never know what school is going to see the writing on the wall and decide to share mid-cycle.

Don't see it being that big of a deal, highly doubt that CAL had anyone that would truly make an impact for Clarion Goldfield Dows

Don't see it being that big of a deal, highly doubt that CAL had anyone that would truly make an impact for Clarion Goldfield Dows

I'd say it's a big deal for the school/community losing its team (for this year, anyway), for the eight other schools that are now short a game, and even more so for the four schools who are out a home game.

Reactions: mtdew_fever
Unfortunately these small schools are not going to survive much longer! The state has pretty much decided there future in allowable growth and enrolment will most likely will continue to decline. To my knowledge CWL, NEH,and now CAL in just 1 year have folded or shrared with another school. This is reality of rural Iowa today and it will get worse.

To my knowledge CWL, NEH,and now CAL in just 1 year have folded or shrared with another school. This is reality of rural Iowa today and it will get worse.

*Laurens-Marathon is going in with Pocahontas Area.
*Ankeny Christian Academy and Grand View Christian are sharing this year, and most of their schedule will be ACA's.

The 2015 8-man schedules are going to be quite a bit different than the initial version.

*Laurens-Marathon is going in with Pocahontas Area.
*Ankeny Christian Academy and Grand View Christian are sharing this year, and most of their schedule will be ACA's.

The 2015 8-man schedules are going to be quite a bit different than the initial version.
You might be right with L-M, but I thought they were going to play in 2015 and then share? I have read in Fort Dodge's paper that they were sharing all other sports and some high school classes.It will be the beginning of the end and Pocahontas county will only have one high school in the county!

You might be right with L-M, but I thought they were going to play in 2015 and then share?

L-M has no 2015 schedule on the IHSAA site.

After further review, it looks like they have simply cancelled their 2015 season (according to a June 16 story in the Storm Lake paper).

L-M has no 2015 schedule on the IHSAA site.

After further review, it looks like they have simply cancelled their 2015 season (according to a June 16 story in the Storm Lake paper).
Thanks for the info! As they say "Another 1 bites the dust" sad to say but no #s no games.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT