ADVERTISEMENT

Burlington needs a coach

Not sure that was appropriate. John is a very good guy, who had very limited resources by way of talent and participation. He has poured himself into this position and given his best to the program. This is not a time to bash anyone .

Originally posted by ORSKY1:

Not sure that was appropriate. John is a very good guy, who had very limited resources by way of talent and participation. He has poured himself into this position and given his best to the program. This is not a time to bash anyone .
I am not trying to start something, because I don't know and I don't want to discredit or anything like that. Just simply a question for you.

Would you, agree, that to SOME LEVEL at least, participation does fall on the shoulders of the head coach? Obviously, there are always many factors that go into participation in any sport. So not entirely a HC's fault... but I do think that - not knowing any of the other factors - participation does come under the job that a HC does, even if just becoming something like a "stale" program where kids don't feel like going out is worth their time.

Again, its a tough spot and I'm not suggesting its all on a HC about participation, though I do think that it is at least partly on them. Might not be able to recruit out of the building but I think at the HS level recruiting in the building and the feeder system never really stops. Not saying he stopped, mind you. Just saying, sometimes the time is needed for a new voice in the effort to get the numbers maybe a little up. And maybe they won't go up. I don't know. Just a general, generic comment.

Can't do much about talent though. You can maybe improve it, sure, but athletes do have a finite amount of improving they can probably do from an athletic stand point

Participation is I believe contingent on a number of issues. Coaching could certainly be part of the equation. So is parent engagement, community participation/support, school administration/teacher attitudes and desire for successful students, socioeconomic factors and any other number of other factors. Burlington is a very different community with a history of job loss, high unemployment, influx of inner city families from Chicago, lower test scores, higher rate of families needing assistance, etc... I think it is on the front edge of a turnaround due to recent increase in jobs, income, and refocus on education in the school system, but it will take time.

Nice post Orsky but outside of softball most of the school teams have been on a downward spiral for few years. But baseball seems to be on the rebound. But as to football they haven't had a consistent winner for well over twenty years it seems. Which is to bad. They have always had great booster club look at all the great improvements at Bracewel. Which i have always said it has the best setting in the state for a football field. I really wish them well.

After nine seasons as head coach of the Burlington Grayhounds, John Flaherty has stepped down. In his nine seasons, he went 34-60. Before being named head coach, he served as the sophomore head coach since 1990.

This year, the Burlington Grayhounds finished 3-6 and failed to qualify for the playoffs. With a 3-6 record this year, they finished in last place in Class 4A District 6.

Record:
2014: 3-6
2013: 2-7
2012: 3-6
2011: 2-7
2010: 4-6
2009: 4-5
2008: 7-3
2007: 5-4
2006: 4-5
2005: 0-9

*2 seasons with a winning record
*4 trips to the IAHSAA Class 4A State Playoffs: 2008, 2009, 2010, 2012 (Never advanced past the First Round)
*John Flaherty guided the team to the playoffs in 2008 for the first time since 2001.

Participation is I believe contingent on a number of issues. Coaching could certainly be part of the equation. So is parent engagement, community participation/support, school administration/teacher attitudes and desire for successful students, socioeconomic factors and any other number of other factors. Burlington is a very different community with a history of job loss, high unemployment, influx of inner city families from Chicago, lower test scores, higher rate of families needing assistance, etc... I think it is on the front edge of a turnaround due to recent increase in jobs, income, and refocus on education in the school system, but it will take time.

I could be wrong but after observing the Drake Relays results this past weekend, I would say the better athletes in Burlington, no matter how you classify them, are wearing Black and Green.

I could be wrong but after observing the Drake Relays results this past weekend, I would say the better athletes in Burlington, no matter how you classify them, are wearing Black and Green.
Several are actually wearing blue and gold (Notre Dame) but there is certainly a larger contingent of athletes participating for WBND than at BHS. It's really incredible to have so many top performers in one small community.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT