ADVERTISEMENT

8-Man Game - Pros & Cons?

Lonetreehawk

Varsity
Gold Member
Nov 24, 2001
My Class A school annually averages a roster of around 30-35 kids, with a BEDS count in the lower 100's. We've been a consistent play-off team during the expanded format, peaking at the quarter-final round. Though our enrollment has and should remain steady, it seems like it's getting tougher every year to find a dedicated core of committed players to put on the field.

For that reason as much as any, the switch to 8-man is being considered. I'd love to read some opinions from fans, parents or coach's of 8-man schools who have made the move, and get an idea of what has resulted.

Thanks in advance for your responses.

I played 11 man for 2 years in High School and 8 man my final 2 years of HS. For us, it was a necessary and easy decision due to having 25 and 22 players fro the seasons of 2000 and 2001. We were able to field JV teams and actually competitive JV teams. Instead of having 11-13 guys, some of which had to play JV and Varsity within the quarter limitations, we were able to have subs at the JV level and Fresh or sophs weren't forced into action earlier than they should be at the varsity level.

I am currently at an 8Man school as well in which we switched to 8man 2 rotations ago. It was an easy transition for us that made sense in everyway.

I think it only makes sense for Lone Tree to go 8man if you guys can get Waco and those other schools on the edge of the (115) Beds # to go as well so you can have your own district down there in SE Iowa. If you look at the BEDS there are a lot of schools that are actually below the (115#) but choose to play Class A. I believe that is because some communities feel 8Man isn't real football. That couldn't be farther from the truth.

The NE Iowa schools that went down to 8Man and made their own district 3 years ago, I think are very comfortable and happy with their decisions to move down.

It's a different game in some regards, but it is the same in others.

If you can tackle and block, you'll do well. If you can't, you'll do poorly. Teams still have to execute to win.

It really is an easy decision when you take what is best for the kids into heart. As you mentioned, it might be hard to find playing time for freshman when you're facing other teams that have 40 kids out for football. Their sophomores and juniors are playing JV; are you going to throw out your 105 pound free safety against a 160 pound running back? In 8-man, this seems to even our pretty well, as there are no teams with freshman squads. JV's are mostly sophomore and freshman kids.

The one problem some teams run into is finding JV games. Some 8-man teams with only 18-20 players run into some injuries. If they get down to 14-15 kids, they might have to cancel JV games due to lack of numbers. It sucks when your kids don't get to play.

I'd say never go down till you don't have the kids to support 11 player JH, V & JV. Somewhere in the mid 20's on the HS and <15 JH.

The kids lose 2.4 hours of playing time per game when you take 3 of them off the field.

Last edited:
Reactions: mtdew_fever
You also need to consider the quality of performance you are getting from your players at each level. I have seen situations in lower-enrollment 11 man where it's hard to get kids in the weight room, do off-season workouts, or even work hard in practice because there is not much competition for starting spots. Sometimes coaches have to fill that 10th or 11th spot with someone who just isn't ready for Varsity yet. Also, if you are playing 11 man and don't have the numbers to put together a scout team for your Varsity to go up against (which easily happens when your roster is around 26 or lower due to injuries or the positions kids can play), your Varsity really suffers. If you can't field a JV team, it hurts the program when underclassmen hardly get any game experience, or if you play a lot of players on both JV and V the probability of injury increases.

Making the switch seems to be a hard pill to swallow for some. They may think it's not "real" football or that making the switch means you have to admit your school has decreased in size. But in my experience, those who make the switch find it works really well.

What about the safety of the kids on the teams that have no choice but to have SO, JR and sometimes even FR starting because they only have 5 or less SRs. Against teams with 8+ SR followed with 8+ JRs.

If this talk at Lone Tree is really happening its just silly, 3-2 and projected to win out with a close game with Pekin.

I agree with the Watcher45 points on competition, off season work etc. Makes a tough job for coach.

I agree with what watcher says about competition. First it all comes down to the safety of the kids. If they are having to play fresh and soph kids that don't belong on the varsity football field and are constantly getting beat each week then yes the consideration probably should happen. If they are considering it to come down just to win games then they have the wrong mindset from the start. Think about the kids first before the end result. I am sure you talk to all of the schools that play 8 man now they will almost all tell you the main reason they came down is because they couldn't field a team that was safe and competitive for the kids rather than to come down to win the final game of the season.

Reactions: UNIPantherfan2015
What about the safety of the kids on the teams that have no choice but to have SO, JR and sometimes even FR starting because they only have 5 or less SRs. Against teams with 8+ SR followed with 8+ JRs.

If this talk at Lone Tree is really happening its just silly, 3-2 and projected to win out with a close game with Pekin.

I agree with the Watcher45 points on competition, off season work etc. Makes a tough job for coach.

In looking at this issue we have to look long term and not just at what might or might not happen based on this season. We as well as WACO are two of the smallest schools still playing 11 man. This isn't an instance where we are looking at 8 man based on future wins or losses but a decision in the long run that may be best for our student athletes.

The very real concern with being forced to play athletes before they are ready is a matter of safety, not success. If we were talking about Baseball, Basketball or Track, the safety risks would be minimal. Football as we all know, is a sport where violent contact is not only allowed, but encouraged. When you have to play kids who aren't ready for the physical or competitive challenges of the varsity level, you jeopardize their safety as well as their teammates.

You also need to consider the quality of performance you are getting from your players at each level. I have seen situations in lower-enrollment 11 man where it's hard to get kids in the weight room, do off-season workouts, or even work hard in practice because there is not much competition for starting spots. Sometimes coaches have to fill that 10th or 11th spot with someone who just isn't ready for Varsity yet. Also, if you are playing 11 man and don't have the numbers to put together a scout team for your Varsity to go up against (which easily happens when your roster is around 26 or lower due to injuries or the positions kids can play), your Varsity really suffers. If you can't field a JV team, it hurts the program when underclassmen hardly get any game experience, or if you play a lot of players on both JV and V the probability of injury increases.

Making the switch seems to be a hard pill to swallow for some. They may think it's not "real" football or that making the switch means you have to admit your school has decreased in size. But in my experience, those who make the switch find it works really well.
This is spot on. Great post. 8 man was one of the greatest things my HS did. Same game, just a few less people.

I'm not a fan of 8 man football , but I don't know what the answer is either , hard to believe a school like Laurens-Marathon would have to cancel their season because they couldn't sport 8 man football

They'll be losing Remsen Union next year as they join with MMC , I'm guessing those two school will get bumped up to Class A

I know the jump for North Union ( Armstrong-Ringsted and North Kossuth ) hasn't been easy

Always hate it when we lose another small school , no more Brat Bowl with Remsen St Mary

speaking of which , I see the series finished tied , 6 games a piece , question , I guess I just assumed that series dated a lot farther back then that , anyone know why it was only played 12 times , were they in different classes at some point

and

Why doesn't Remsen Union consolidate with Remsen St Mary instead of MMC

I'm not a fan of 8 man football , but I don't know what the answer is either , hard to believe a school like Laurens-Marathon would have to cancel their season because they couldn't sport 8 man football

They'll be losing Remsen Union next year as they join with MMC , I'm guessing those two school will get bumped up to Class A

I know the jump for North Union ( Armstrong-Ringsted and North Kossuth ) hasn't been easy

Always hate it when we lose another small school , no more Brat Bowl with Remsen St Mary

speaking of which , I see the series finished tied , 6 games a piece , question , I guess I just assumed that series dated a lot farther back then that , anyone know why it was only played 12 times , were they in different classes at some point

and

Why doesn't Remsen Union consolidate with Remsen St Mary instead of MMC
So Rams28 why are you not a fan of 8 man football? May we have an answer please? Here is my take on 8 man football. It is still football:blocking, tackling, running, passing, etc.etc...just like 11 man football except with a few less players on the field. Sure the playing field is a bit smaller but so what...they are still playing football. Our school went to 8 man starting with the 2000 season. It was a case of having to play younger and younger guys in 11 man that physically were not ready for it. It made great sense for us to switch. Sure we had some decent success in the 8 player game. One year made the Championship game...didn't win but we made it. We played 8 man for 10 seasons...think we made the playoffs like 7 or 8 of those years. Finally due to the numbers game we have gone with a shared program and are back playing 11 man. You know what..it's still football but now with a few more players back on the field. As for your question why does not RU and RSM consolidate..what Sadey said probably has some truth to it..also private schools don't "consolidate" with public schools.

Reactions: robin230
I have witness both 11man and 8 man football. I have only coaches 11 man football, but my nephew plays 8 man and I think its still the same game. They block and tackle and score TD's.

I realize the dimensions are different and the rules are a little different in terms of yardages and what not, but its still football.

I am with everyone else, if the school is struggling at getting enough players out to field a 11man team, then it might be smart to drop to 8 man. I realize there are some towns with some old time traditions, but what's best for the kids. I have witnessed some schools who are trying to play 11 man football with 20 some kids? I mean if there are any injuries, their backs are against the wall. How good can it be for the kids to go out there and get beat by 40+ every week.

Wasn't there a school a few years back that had to cancel their season because they didn't have enough players? Was that 11man or 8 man?

I think schools need to do what is best for their students. If their numbers are low and its difficult to get players out, then drop to 8man. Correct me if Im wrong, isn't there 6 man football out in South Dakota?

I have witness both 11man and 8 man football. I have only coaches 11 man football, but my nephew plays 8 man and I think its still the same game. They block and tackle and score TD's.

I realize the dimensions are different and the rules are a little different in terms of yardages and what not, but its still football.

I am with everyone else, if the school is struggling at getting enough players out to field a 11man team, then it might be smart to drop to 8 man. I realize there are some towns with some old time traditions, but what's best for the kids. I have witnessed some schools who are trying to play 11 man football with 20 some kids? I mean if there are any injuries, their backs are against the wall. How good can it be for the kids to go out there and get beat by 40+ every week.

Wasn't there a school a few years back that had to cancel their season because they didn't have enough players? Was that 11man or 8 man?

I think schools need to do what is best for their students. If their numbers are low and its difficult to get players out, then drop to 8man. Correct me if Im wrong, isn't there 6 man football out in South Dakota?
You are close...it is Nebraska that has 6 man football.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT