ADVERTISEMENT

7 v 7 and other Summer Activities

DCAHawk

Freshman
Oct 12, 2019
I know a lot of teams have been doing 7v7 scrimmages and other activities. Dead week next week, and then the season is pretty much upon us.

Any news, updates, predictions or scintillating rumors out there?

Can't wait for the season toe start!! I have all of the schedules done and ready for the season.

Saw Davis County was over at IC high
Davenport West, Liberty and IC Regina
CCA has been hosting, same with Solon.

Heat in the coming days will be brutal (good week to have dead week, but also hot next week). Hope all the teams stay safe.

I was at the Baxter 5v5 (8 -man equivalent). It was good to get back to football. About 12 teams there. Not sure if you learn too much from it though, but still football.

will post any info i can find..nothing yet....baseball just got over with, but football news should be forthcoming soon

UNI, IHSAA announce five-year extension for Iowa high school football playoffs in Cedar Falls........not sure if this is old or fairly new , but i found it on the net, but this decisions is no surprise at all...the 2022 playoff games drew a estimated 54,000 fans from 21 games played, 14 semi-final and 7 final games from 7 classes​

FINALS​

these are the 2022 finals....which teams in 2023 has best chance to repeat????? i am a harlan alumni, so its hard not speak out about the cyclones in 2023....they have a ton of players to replace this year, though i back and a reciever position will be one of the best in 3a. the 2nd team last year did very well against #1 opposing teams due to big leads early in most games in 2022. the big mystery is who is going to replace qb teagan kasperbauer, had a huge year in 2022, passed for 40 td and 2665 yards. teagan is not sought after by colleges, and i am sort of surprised why he was not more recruited????? anyone know where teagan is going to college???

THURSDAY, NOVEMBER 17

Eight-Player
St. Mary’s, Remsen 38, WACO 16
Class A
Grundy Center 27, West Hancock, Britt 0
Class 4A
Xavier, Cedar Rapids 45, Lewis Central 38

FRIDAY, NOVEMBER 18

Class 2A
Central Lyon/George-Little Rock 10, Williamsburg 6
Class 3A
Harlan Community 30, Mount Vernon 23
Class 1A
Van Meter 35, West Sioux, Hawarden 7
Class 5A
Southeast Polk 49, Valley, W.D.M. 14

Last edited:

FINALS​

these are the 2022 finals....which teams in 2023 has best chance to repeat????? i am a harlan alumni, so its hard not speak out about the cyclones in 2023....they have a ton of players to replace this year, though i back and a reciever position will be one of the best in 3a. the 2nd team last year did very well against #1 opposing teams due to big leads early in most games in 2022. the big mystery is who is going to replace qb teagan kasperbauer, who had a huge year in 2022, who passed for 40 td and 2665 yards. teagan is not sought after by colleges, and i am sort of surprised why he was not more recruited????? anyone know where teagan is going to college???

THURSDAY, NOVEMBER 17

Eight-Player
St. Mary’s, Remsen 38, WACO 16
Class A
Grundy Center 27, West Hancock, Britt 0
Class 4A
Xavier, Cedar Rapids 45, Lewis Central 38

FRIDAY, NOVEMBER 18

Class 2A
Central Lyon/George-Little Rock 10, Williamsburg 6
Class 3A
Harlan Community 30, Mount Vernon 23
Class 1A
Van Meter 35, West Sioux, Hawarden 7
Class 5A
Southeast Polk 49, Valley, W.D.M. 14
A and 1A will not repeat in their class. They may repeat but not in the same class as they have moved up.

no doubt van meter was good last year, the competition in 2a will be tough...central lyon /george little rock was very good last year, maybe on the same level as the top 3a schools...soon find out, season starts soon

no doubt van meter was good last year, the competition in 2a will be tough...central lyon /george little rock was very good last year, maybe on the same level as the top 3a schools...soon find out, season starts soon
The top competition maybe. Overall I think 2A is weaker than 1A.

1A has some good teams but most districts are not very deep at all. A couple districts have 2 quality teams. A number of them only have 1 and one district will struggle against other competition.

Reactions: DCAHawk
there was a small article in the harlan tribune about cyclone upcoming season. coach bladt stated that they have a rare opportunity to go after 3 championships, and stated most teams hardly get a second one. the cyclones have big shoes to fill stated by bladt , with 20 seniors departing...the quarterback frontrunners are senior will arkfeld, and soph gabe arkfeld, and its still wide open , not set in stone....2 cylones entering their senior seasons, and had big part of teams success last year, are cade sears and mathew sorfonden...sears had 973 yrs receiving and sorfonden had 70 tackles. in 3 weeks. aug 25, the cyclones prepare to defend their back to back championships against a very good lewis central team...lewis central is a well coached team, and they have a lot of guys to replace as well...there will be a lot of new faces on the field aug 25, should be very interesting game from 2 teams that were both in the finals at the dome last year in their respective classes

Last edited:
A little off topic, but I read an interesting article about St. Mary's Remsen. Their senior boys class last year won a state championship in football, basketball, and baseball. That is pretty impressive even for a small catholic school. They also said that senior class never missed state in any of those 3 sports over the last 3 seasons. I thought that was pretty impressive.

A little off topic, but I read an interesting article about St. Mary's Remsen. Their senior boys class last year won a state championship in football, basketball, and baseball. That is pretty impressive even for a small catholic school. They also said that senior class never missed state in any of those 3 sports over the last 3 seasons. I thought that was pretty impressive.
Interesting socioeconomics going on in those rural areas in NW Iowa for sure. Really all of Iowa. Very familiar with Remsen and it's dying town, which makes this accomplishment very impressive (although the road to state in that area in their class is pretty easy in most sports).

But this is indicative of how social disparity will continue to drive athletic success in high school sports. It's not a private vs public issue. Congrats to that RSM senior class.

Sounds like the identity of some of these teams are being exposed in the cross camp workouts. Hearing liberty looks decent, regina not so much WB pretty solid, West might be decent, ICH needs some help.

I'm interested in the Williamsburg/WB game. WB line is going to cause problems for teams all season.

In other news, the Regina coach's kids team should roll tonight against a very weak west lib team. Coach naeve and dumont should be proud of their kid's stats after tonight.

Wow... watching the kcrg 9.2 game. If regina is a top 10 team, 1A is super weak this year.

Regina looked good. D-line was great. Offense can score quickly. Dumont and Naeve are in sync. 5 total TD’s for Naeve in the game. Competition will step up next week, so we’ll see.

Ummm, you really think they looked good? Keeping the starters in to run up stats in the 4th for the coaches kids is a couple of dads trying to get more dII looks. No one is happy with that program. Just look at the kids that didn't go out this year

Ummm, you really think they looked good? Keeping the starters in to run up stats in the 4th for the coaches kids is a couple of dads trying to get more dII looks. No one is happy with that program. Just look at the kids that didn't go out this year
The same kids that didn’t play last year? Talk about jaded. A 20+ point win over a solid 2A team is a good win.

The same kids that didn’t play last year? Talk about jaded. A 20+ point win over a solid 2A team is a good win.
I'm an MP grad and go to most of the games, including last Friday.
We are far from a "solid 2A team". Haven't had a solid squad in awhile. We beat the bottom feeder teams each year to get into the watered-down playoffs.

Regina is an OK squad. No way they gwt to the Dome. Regardless of WBs start I think will be a great game in a few weeks. Bears have the toughest non-district schedule in 1A.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT