ADVERTISEMENT

4A State 2013

vikesfan13147

Freshman
Sep 21, 2012
Here are the 4A State Tournament Matchups:

#1 Des Moines East (36-4) vs #8 Davenport North (23-15)

7/31 at 2:00

#4 Johnston (26-12) vs #5 Linn-Mar (27-15)

7/31 at 12:00

#2 Ankeny (34-7) vs #7 Clinton (25-14)

7/31 at 8:00

#3 Sioux City East (30-9) vs #6 Cedar Rapids Xavier (25-15)

7/3 at 6:00

Thoughts and predictions???
This post was edited on 7/25 12:23 AM by vikesfan13147

I see Des Moines East, Linn-Mar, Ankeny, & Xavier advancing.

I see a Linn-Mar vs Ankeny final.

Not sure who wins the final because I don't know much about each teams #3 pitcher.

Linn-Mar vs DM East
Xavier vs Ankeny

Linn-Mar vs Ankeny
Ankeny wins a close championship game I'll say 5-3 score

I'll throw my hat in the ringer...

DM East over Dav North
Johnston over Linn-Mar
Ankeny over Clinton
CR Xavier over SC East

DM East over Johnston
Ankeny over CR Xavier

Ankeny over DM East

I think the SCE vs Xavier and Lm vs Johnston games will be the best of day 1. I expect Ankeny and DME to cake walk on Wednesday, but be seriously challenged if not upset on Friday. I would say there are 6 teams with a very real shot at walking away with the title.

Ankeny wins again. I believe they will wake up after playing in one heck of a game Wed.and beating a very solid and underrated Fort Dodge team 1 to 0. May very well be their toughest this postseason including state. I believe the defending state runner-up Dodgers were somewhat disrespected in the sub-state draw the received..

This post was edited on 7/26 7:13 PM by Baseballisinmyblood

Ankeny has Mckinney,Johnson aand Belzer as starting pitchers, If they pitch well they will be hard to beat.

I was at the Ankeny-Fort Dodge game watching McKinney pitch and he was fantastic, but so was the Fort Dodge pitcher. As a spectator, I did see the strike zone was huge, but consistent. As a scout, I saw two pitchers hitting their spots, and throwing their off speed for strikes, keeping the hitters off-balance. Each team had solid defense and they played the game right. Except for a little contact issue, but I am not going to elaborate on that. Overall, this game was a state championship like game. Congratulations to Ankeny on making it to the state tournament and congratulations to Fort Dodge for a great season.

As for Fort Dodge's sub-state draw, I find it hard to believe that "the state officials" would not give these two schools a chance to meet in the state tournament for a re-match - they should have been at the substate final game. Should we expect this year's state champion and state runner-up to be in the same substate next year???? If the goal is getting the best 8 teams to the state tournament, why were some substate very easy and some substate were very hard.

The state officials wanted to see the state's highest high school draft pick: Derek Burkamper in the state tournament. So substate #5 was set up for him to get to Des Moines. Even though they did get upset, the road did not have many challenges. Same with substate #1....Sioux City East had the Gatorade Player of the Year: Dom Thompson-Williams, even though I like East, their substate had all conference opponents, and no real challenge.

Substates #2 (Ankeny, Fort Dodge, Waukee, Ames), Substate #7 (DM East, WDM Valley, Urbandale), and Substate 8 (WDM Dowling, Southeast Polk, Johnston) were the hardest substates.

Originally posted by IAHawkeyeBaseball:

As for Fort Dodge's sub-state draw, I find it hard to believe that "the state officials" would not give these two schools a chance to meet in the state tournament for a re-match - they should have been at the substate final game. Should we expect this year's state champion and state runner-up to be in the same substate next year???? If the goal is getting the best 8 teams to the state tournament, why were some substate very easy and some substate were very hard.
I'm not certain on how they break the schools up into substates, but I do know the groupings change every year. This year they just happen to put all the MRC schools in one grouping. Some schools are always going to be grouped together because of geography and distance from everyone else. I imagine it happens in every class.

Des Moines East 7 Davenport North 6 (9)

Johnston 2 Linn-Mar 0

Des Moines East vs Johnston Friday night at 6:00

Sioux City East 1 Cedar Rapids Xavier 0

Clinton 10 Ankeny 8

Sioux City East vs Clinton Friday night at 8:00

That was a tough draw for both FD and Ankeny, as was substate 7. Also look at substate 6 that had Kennedy, Linn-Mar, and IC West - 3 teams that qualified for state last year. Certainly putting the 2 teams that were in the finals the year before, on the surface, doesn't seem to make for a great precedent. With that said, they should look at the teams every year and do their best to try and get the best 8 teams to DM if possible-last year means nothing really. Ankeny's loss weakens this argument. The better argument is that when the pairings came out, both teams were ranked in the top 5 I believe, so putting them together, along with Waukee and an improved Ames team, didn't make a lot of sense.

Johnston and Sioux City East will battle for the Class 4A state championship tonight at 8:00. Johnston upset top seeded Des Moines East 5-3. Sioux City East defeated 6-1 to advance.

Originally posted by superhusker33:
Originally posted by toosimpletoo:
Ankeny has Mckinney,Johnson aand Belzer as starting pitchers, If they pitch well they will be hard to beat.
Not for Clinton.
Reading comprehension. It's your friend, you don't need to be scared of it.

Johnston wins the Class 4A state championship with a 9-3 victory over Sioux City East. Congrats to the Dragons!!!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT