ADVERTISEMENT

4A Bracketology

A_Mets_Man

Freshman
Aug 9, 2003
Why does Iowa do their 4A baseball bracket the way they do. Why have all 6 teams play the first night and then give the highest seed the next round off and then just having to come back and play sub state. They can ride their #1 pitcher basically thru the first round at state. Meanwhile the lower seeds have to play Friday, Monday, and come back again Wednesday. I don't mind teams getting byes but wouldn't it seem more competitive if the top 2 seeds got byes in the first round. Then have 1 play 4 and 2 play 3. Then have the sub state game. This would force the top seeds to maybe use a #2 pitcher. I think with this format the better TEAM would have the advantage. Don't all the other classes use the top seed or seeds getting byes in the first round? Just an observation.

I always thought it was a bit strange myself, 2A districs look the same way with 6 teams but are run the normal way (winner of 4vs5 plays 1, winner of 3vs6 plays 2). I've given up trying to understand the IAHSAA's procedures

It's not right - there might be a 4A team that gets a bye, uses their ace for the first game, gets 4 days of rest, then uses the ace on Wednesday.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT