ADVERTISEMENT

2A District/Sub-state Selection

gg2224

Freshman
May 12, 2009
Does anyone know what the IAHSAA criteria are for selecting district/sub-state hosting sites?

I became curious after seeing the number of repeat hosts and decided to take a close look at 2A.

Looking back through 2008 in 2A (i.e., seven seasons of assignments available at IHSAA.org), the following teams have been granted hosting opportunities at least 6 times (the count includes selection as district host, district championship host and/or sub-state championship host).

1. KUEMPER CATHOLIC, CARROLL (14)

2. SIOUX CENTER (11)

3. BECKMAN CATHOLIC, DYERSVILLE (10)

4. WILTON (9)

5. DENVER (9)

6. SOLON (9) (now 3A)

7. MAPLE VALLEY-ANTHON-OTO (8)

8. ST. EDMOND, FORT DODGE (8)

9. ROLAND-STORY, STORY CITY (7)

10. GRUNDY CENTER (6)

11. NORTH POLK, ALLEMAN (6)

12. SHELDON (6)

13. CLARINDA (6)

14. WAPELLO (6)

15. BELMOND-KLEMME (6)

Six teams have hosted five times: West Fork, Tri-Center, Eddyville-Blakesburg-Fremont, Mid Prairie, Cherokee, Central Springs

Seven schools have hosted four times: South Winneshiek, Cascade, Albia, Treynor, Pella Christian, Durant, Bondurant-Farrar (now 3A).

I should note the 2A playoff format switched from 16 - eight team districts to 16 - six team districts beginning with the 2012 season. This works out to 352, 2A hosting opportunities over the seven year period (i.e., 3 seasons x 32 opportunities for the six team format + 4 seasons X 64 opportunities for the 8 team format = 352 total).

Of those 352 opportunities, the 28 schools who hosted at least 4 times together hosted 179 times - or 51% of the total. Yet these 28 schools represent just 25% of 2A schools across the time period.

To think of it another way, these 28 teams have cashed in on roughly 51% of the take home revenue generated at the district and sub-state level games. This leaves the other ~100 2A teams to fight over the smaller half of the pie.

I've got nothing against the schools fortunate enough to host, and I know there are physical considerations in play as part of the selection process (field quality, seating, parking, geography) but why would an organization whose purpose is to "stimulate fair play, friendly rivalry, and good sportsmanship among contestants, schools, and communities throughout the state" allow the outcome of the selection process to become this biased?

Also I'm curious. Does the host school get to keep any portion of the gate or is their cut simply the concession revenue?
Edited for formating...

This post was edited on 6/26 12:23 PM by gg2224

Nice work. I too have wondered about this. I think geography certainly has some say in this BUT there are other teams/towns in the same vicinity(s) that are more than capable hosts.

My question is, do you have to bid or request to host? Or is it just assigned at the state's discretion?

I look at W Marshall who has undoubtedly one of if not the best playing surface in central Iowa (not sure who would be comparable anywhere in the state at the smaller classes for sure) and have to wonder why they haven't had an opportunity to host.

It has to be a treat for teams to come into that park knowing that the infield is like playing on a high level D1 field and there will be a nice, closely manicured infield with NO bad hops and a great mound.

If you have to bid on it, I can't see why they, for example, would ever pass on it as WM has more than enough people willing to take care of the field. I can't speak for the admin side of it though.

Schools have to request to host it, then it comes down to things like quality of field, seating, and parking.

I've seen somewhere, a school needs to have X number of seats. (not sure what X is). So all those schools must have enough bleacher space to make the cut. Costly to add bleachers too. They cost a fortune nowadays, because I don't think you can buy open to the ground bleachers anymore.

I believe the association sends out a feeler if schools want to host. So, those who don't want it are out. Believe it or not, some administrators don't want the work. Not criticizing, just a fact. Then the other factors mentioned above come into play. I have never been to WM, so I can't speak to their field. I do know Belmond, R-S & Carroll-Kuemper, have nice facilities.

I know a lot of the central/north-central Iowa teams have had big schedule impacts due to the weather over the past week, with many having been idle since 6/25.

1) To what extent, if any, will the missing games impact the seeding for districts?

2) What do you think a week off at this point in the season does for pitching, hitting and overall quality of play for those teams that have been off for six or seven days?

3) With 1A/2A districts scheduled to kick off in 11 days, do teams have time get their mojo back before 7/12?

4) Or is this a net positive for pitchers allowing their arms get a late season break?

I'm split. I can see it as beneficial if a team has injuries or a fatigued arm or two. I do think hitting and fielding will suffer with the lack of practice and game time. I think it can effect a teams momentum as well. I remember from my playing days being on a roll, having knocked off the #1 and #2 teams in our class 10 days before districts. A week of called games later, we were punched out in the first round.

Lisbon hosted districts this year with a field that has no right field fence. That shouldn't happen. A hit in the gap rolls about 400 ft through the infield of another diamond.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT