ADVERTISEMENT

2A, District 8

LukeFeddersen

Jun 14, 2001
Any single districts tougher than this? Loaded.

Teams:
Beckman Catholic, Dyersville
Bellevue

Cascade, Western Dubuque
Clayton Ridge/Central
MFL MarMac
Monticello

District 13 and 14 in 1A are pretty loaded. I don't know how MSTM will return to state. Ha..ha....ha. Some of these districts are a joke.

MFL is the one weak link in that district. It's a shame that so many very good teams won't advance out of this one. I think it will come down to Beckman and Cascade with Cascade getting the nod over the Blazers. Beckman played the toughest schedule in 2A but has some nagging injuries to their best bats in what was a rebuilding year. They've had a hard time scoring lately. Cascade can score a lot of runs, which is what wins at this time of year.

This is Beckman's to lose.

Monticello and Cascade are solid, as were Bellevue and CRC.

However, it setup very well for Beckman by having Bellevue and CRC on that side it allows them to avoid using the limited pitching depth they have compared to Monti and Cascade.

In no way am I saying Monti and Cascade are better or have better pitchers, but Monti has 2 legit starters and Cascade is about 6 deep in pitchers.

Lehmann is the one shutdown guy that Beckman can turn to and had Monti been stuck on Beckman's side you could see Beckman playing Cascade with Lehmann being on limited rest following a very tough opponent.

Instead, Beckman got the easier route and now we will likely see Lehmann vs. Holmes. This should be one heck of a ball game!

Pitching
Athlete W/L IP H R ER BB Ks ERA
Lehmann, Joey SR W 7 5 4 2 3 9 2.00

Doesn't look like stats that would support "all he could handle." Most pitchers and coaches would take those stats every day if you assured them of it. However, I do think the Monti / Beckman game will be a dandy.

Agree maybe word used wrong but when your era is.20 and have 90 k's in 60 innings I believe what crc did against him was great. Game was tied 2 to 2 in the 6 th. and I know errors are part of game but one error in 6 th leads to their 6 runs.

CRC did what every team has decided to try against Lehman lately. They sat on his breaking ball. His curve ball has so much movement, that it frequently ends up in the dirt. If you don't chase it, you have a chance to get on base. That's the biggest reason for the sudden jump in walks for Lehman over his lastt 3 games. Other than walks and a few Beckman errors, CRC had little to offer against Lehman. Last night, Monticello used the same strategy. Lehman walked 7 and threw 145 pitches. But Monticello could only manage 1 hit that barely made it out of the infield. Beckman will ride their horse as far as possible because basically, a dog tired Lehman is still better than anyone else they have. Other than Lehman, the reason Beckman wins is they understand the game and do the little things better than most other teams. They rarely blow anyone out because of limited offense, but they win a lot of close games. Not as good as last year, but still a top contender. 2A is a crap shoot at this point. Any team still alive can win on a given night.

Well said jayvis that has been crc trouble most year is we don't do little things well all the time. They are young and getting better. Lookout for next year

If Lehman really did pitch 145 pitches, the folks at Beckman can expect a call from the Des Moines Register. I am not criticizing or supporting. To me, it is between the player, coach and parents. It is none of my business. Between the 4 people I mentioned, they have a much better idea what is good for the player than I do.

Originally posted by Jako18:
If Lehman really did pitch 145 pitches, the folks at Beckman can expect a call from the Des Moines Register. I am not criticizing or supporting. To me, it is between the player, coach and parents. It is none of my business. Between the 4 people I mentioned, they have a much better idea what is good for the player than I do.
Beckman threw Adam Noethe last night against New Hampton in Substate 4. Lehman pitched 2/3 of the 7th inning in relief. Lehman is a senior and is developed enough to handle the work load. He doesn't just overpower hitters and likes to change speeds and work the corners. Thus, he tends to throw a lot of pitches against teams that are patient at the plate and when the umpire has a small strike zone. Beckman's coach Jenk knows the rules and knows his players. He's as ethical as they come and would never jeopardize a player's well being, even to win another state title.

Noethe is no slouch....2012 all-stater and got the W in the state finals last season. Lehmann's stuff is the best on the staff this year.

WaMac East co-champ Beckman gets WaMaC west middle of pack Waterloo Columbus in round 1 setting up semifinal with winner of Roland Story or WaMaC East co-champ Mount Vernon.

Beckman and Mount Vernon traded one run victories in the regular season, however, neither team pitched their top guy.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT