ADVERTISEMENT

2009 Elite All State now in NFL

Dec 13, 2009
Is this neat or what!!! Looked at the 2009 Elite All State Offensive Team. Four of them were drafted in this weekends 2015 NFL Draft and one signed as a free agent. They are:
David Parry: Linn-Mar High School, Stanford University, Indianapolis Colts, 5th Round 151st Pick
AJ Derby: Iowa City High, Arkansas University, New England Patriots, 6th Round 202nd Pick
David Johnson: Clinton High School, UNI, Arizona Cardinals, 3rd Round 86th Pick
Jake Waters: Council Bluffs St Albert, Kansas State, Jacksonville, Free Agent
and of course
Brandon Scherff: Denison, Iowa, Washington Redskins, 1st Round 5th Pick
Also James Morris: Solon, Iowa, Philadelphia Eagles (I think) Free Agent was a 1st Team Elite All-State Defensive Player in 2009.

Wow!!!! What a year.
Below is a list of those offensive all staters from 2009. Luke, lets get those football archives updated. This is neat stuff and interesting.

QB Chanse Creekmur, Marshalltown
QB A.J. Derby, Iowa City High
RB Andre Dawson, Cedar Rapids Washington
RB Dylan Barrett, Harlan
RB Brock Boeding, New Hampton
RB Tanner Susin, Centerville
RB Tyler Tonderum, Armstrong-Ringsted
RB Jevoury Wedderburn, Urbandale
WR Jarred Carlson, Marshalltown
WR Jared Wauters, Union
WR Ted Hergert, Clear Creek-Amana
WR Tyler Boeke, Coon Rapids-Bayard
OL James Kohler, Ames
OL Matt Tvedte, Iowa City High
OL David Parry, Linn-Mar
OL Brandon Scherff, Denison-Schleswig
OL Jack Rummells, West Branch
OL Andrew Williams, West Central, Maynard
OL Steve Ralston, Clinton
OL Nathan Seibert, Dallas Center-Grimes
Util Colin O'Connor, Cedar Rapids Xavier
Util Jake Waters, Council Bluffs St. Albert
Util David Johnson, Clinton
Util Jordan Andera, South Winneshiek

Andre Dawson was a bigger recruit than David Johnson coming out of high school. Also Jack Rummells will probably get invited to a mini camp or two to show his abilities.

Some others on this list that have had some success as a collegiate player. These are one's that I'm aware of.
Dylan Barrett Harlan All Conference RB Buena Vista
Tyler Tonderum Armstrong Ringstead: RB Southwest Minnesota State Harlan Hill Finalist his junior year (Impressive)
Jared Wauters Union All Conference DB Wartburg
Jack Rummells West Branch 2 year starter OL (I think) UNI

OL Jack Rummells, West Branch, trying to make Vikings and reports for mini camp next weekend

Matt Hoffer was an OL for CR Washington, he signed as a free agent with the Falcons yesterday. I believe he played for South Dakota.

A couple more free agent signings

Cory Morrissey: Gilbert High School, Iowa State to Baltimore Ravens
Tyler Rudenbeck: Maquoketa High School, University of Dubuque, Washington Redskins
Brandon Wegher: Sioux City Heelan, Morningside College, Carolina Panthers

Dawson was the better rated prospect, but anyone who had seen a fair share of high school football would know that David Johnson was the better actual prospect. Dawson played on a solid/state qualifying CR Washington program, which had Kennan Davis and Adrian Arrington come through the program recently as well. David Johnson played for a Clinton program that has very few good seasons. Johnson single-handedly made them a solid team during his time at Clinton. He was as big, by far stronger, just as fast as Dawson, and his pad level and center of gravity were better than Dawson. I liked watching Andre in high school, but he ran upright and after playing that way for years it is hard to get a runner to make the changes. He wasn't able to make the changes and it hurt him in college. Johnson also put up crazy amounts of yards with a much worse offensive line blocking for him. If I remember correctly he had a 400 yard game during his dominate season campaign.

John Rabe Not Elite All State TE/LB High School: Iowa Falls-Alden, Ellsworth CC, Minnesota, Steelers TE during college, and short pro stint

James Morris is with New England. He's getting a second chance this year after hurting his knee in camp last year and missing the season.

The best QB out of that class ended up being Cole Jaeschke of Prairie Valley (Gowrie). He ended up going to Upper Iowa and did well enough there to get invited to an NFL mini camp with Carolina.

ADVERTISEMENT