ADVERTISEMENT

1A State 2013

vikesfan13147

Freshman
Sep 21, 2012
Here are the Class 1A state tournament matchups:

#1 Newman Catholic (28-6) vs #8 Woodbury Central (20-9)

7/26 at 6:00

#4 Twin Cedars (35-2) vs #5 Martensdale-St. Marys (30-9)

7/26 at 8:00

#2 Van Meter (33-8) vs #7 Remsen St. Marys (25-8)

7/27 at 6:00

#3 Van Buren (24-5) vs Don Bosco (28-6)

7/27 at 8:00

Thoughts and predictions??

Seems like most years there are 1-3 teams that don't really have a chance. No gimme games this year. This field seems very balanced with all the teams having a shot.

Newman defeats Woodbury Central 11-6 in the opener of the Class 1A State tournament. The Knights will play the winner of the Twin Cedars-Martemsdale-St. Marys.

Twin Cedars outlasts 3 time defending champion Martensdale-St. Marys by a score of 4-1 in 9 innings. Twin Cedars vs Newman Catholic next Thursday.

I watched both games on tv and talk about polar opposite. Twin Cedars Otis Roby only a sophomore is a heck of a player.

Remsen St.Marys got second in there conference, Wesselman is ok but he's nothing special. Van Metering should win this one easy!!

Van Buren beats Don Bosco 6-5 on a walkoff hit by pitch in eight innings. Van Buren vs Van Meter in the other Class 1A semifinal.

Van meter don't beat the Hawks, the hawks beat themselves and I would pick wesselmann as one of the top pitchers in 1a

No dog in the fight but was at the game. No doubt Wesselmann is tough. Props to him and a very tough St. Mary's team. However, took a look at the stats and St. Mary's allow 3 earned runs and Van Meter only allowed 2 so Van Meter still wins 3-2...but can't play the "what if" game.

Twin Cedars is solid in their lineup from top to bottom with great pitching. I don't see them getting beat. They also have a cause to rally around with a loss of a player this year by accident. Perfect Storm!

And the official scorekeeper is the IHSAA in this case as that would certainly be the most objective and unbiased eye.

I believe this is Van Buren's first year playing in 1A due to sliding enrollment. I think they have to be relieved that they don't have to play 2A Davis County in the first round of the districts anymore. In my opinion, two years ago , the 2A state championship game was played in districts when Van Buren lost to the eventual champion Davis County in extra innings. Van Buren has always been consistently tough but have always ran into the Davis County roadblock.

Newman 3 Twin Cedars 0

Van Buren 14 Van Meter 4 (6)

Newman vs Van Buren for the Class 1A state title on Saturday at noon.

It's a shame #1 and #2 had to play in the Semi's. It's been a great tournament top to bottom though.

Originally posted by SkipRip:

It's a shame #1 and #2 had to play in the Semi's. It's been a great tournament top to bottom though.
That was a great game, too. I was surprised that Twin Cedars didn't hit a little better, but both teams played well.

The MCN/TC game did have a championship feel to it, especially with the Roby/Hall matchup. It is too bad the teams had to meet in the semis, I don't foresee Newman committing 7-8 errors in the game like the last two teams VB faced did. So things could get ugly. Then again I didn't necessarily see DB or VM performing like they did either. I think Newman is more of a veteran squad, VB is obviously new to all of this and very young, I could see Newman hitting double digits in scoring.

Also I saw a picture via social network that Twin Cedars changed their school message board a couple weeks ago to "Home of the soon to be state baseball champions" .. Does this cross the line into straight up cockiness? Or is it the school having fun? I'm curious to know how you guys feel.. not really sure where I stand because I'm not familiar with TC all that well. Just curious is all.

Newman Catholic are the 2013 Class 1A state baseball champions with a 6-2 victory over Van Buren. Congrats to the Knights!!!

OHS, I coach those TC boys in our Spring league. This is the first I'm hearing of that. I would guess if that was the case it was done by someone not involved with the team, and I'm guessing it wasn't up long or I would have seen it. We do not promote creating bulletin board material.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT